Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By Jimmy Vo Sun Jun 18, 2006 5:56 am
i've been doing a lot of research on these 3 mpc's. the 1000,2500,and the 2000xl. I do not know which mpc too chose from. the 2000xl cost the same as the 2500 but the 1000 is way cheaper. I;ve been looking on myspace for people that use the 1000 but every producer i looked up so far didnt have the sound quality i expected from the mpc. And can you transfer samples too the flash card in the mp1000? thanks

By Lampdog Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:30 am
Check the mpc comparison chart (even though it's old it gives you a
starting point)

Download each mpc's manual and OS addendums and look for the features you want in an mpc.

The quality of each producers music is usually MORE than just an mpc. That SHOULDN'T be a deciding factor in your decision.

Make a choice based on what YOU need, not what you hear from other peoples music.

Dig deeper and figure it out.

By Spirez Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:11 am
I'd go with one of the newer units, 1000 or 2500.

Newer, faster, extra features etc etc CF cards, hard drives and USB clinched the deal for me.
By L. Tombstone Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:43 pm
I'd say scrape some extra chips and get something worth buying at that...the classic 3000. I know cats is falling head over heels due to ease of file transfer issues, but the older MPC's 60,60II and 3000 have a more robust sound than the newer models from my experience. The cat above me recommended the 1k or 2500 for USB and hard drive options...If that's what the cat was looking for and it works for him I can't knock that, that's real. BUT, I will say USB and hard drives will do absolutely nothing to make your music pumpin.

The 3K has the option of a gain boost up to 200% per sound!!! No gain issues whatsoever. Plus the build is more solid....and since the 1k and 2500 top out @ 44.1/16-bit (a big mistake for 'new' audio products IMO) why get those?? The 4000 with the Z96 engine is def. where it's at but not them other ones. So, if you want a new MPC go 4000 and get some REAL enhanced capability or go classic and get a 3000. You can always get a SCSI drive for the classic 3K..and if you are using a DAW like Protools, file transfers via USB defeat the purpose of a percussion-based tone generator such as the 3000....Might as well rock Fruity Loops in that case.

**SIDE NOTE: I love 60's, but the 12-bit, 40K thing can make it difficult when dealing with very crispy bright high-frequency sounds.
By DJ Proficient Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:48 pm
L. Tombstone wrote:I'd say scrape some extra chips and get something worth buying at that...the classic 3000. I know cats is falling head over heels due to ease of file transfer issues, but the older MPC's 60,60II and 3000 have a more robust sound than the newer models from my experience. The cat above me recommended the 1k or 2500 for USB and hard drive options...If that's what the cat was looking for and it works for him I can't knock that, that's real. BUT, I will say USB and hard drives will do absolutely nothing to make your music pumpin.

The 3K has the option of a gain boost up to 200% per sound!!! No gain issues whatsoever. Plus the build is more solid....and since the 1k and 2500 top out @ 44.1/16-bit (a big mistake for 'new' audio products IMO) why get those?? The 4000 with the Z96 engine is def. where it's at but not them other ones. So, if you want a new MPC go 4000 and get some REAL enhanced capability or go classic and get a 3000. You can always get a SCSI drive for the classic 3K..and if you are using a DAW like Protools, file transfers via USB defeat the purpose of a percussion-based tone generator such as the 3000....Might as well rock Fruity Loops in that case.

**SIDE NOTE: I love 60's, but the 12-bit, 40K thing can make it difficult when dealing with very crispy bright high-frequency sounds.

Good info man, but I also have a question...
The beats I usually end up making are more jazzy, or gritty sounding like something old school Eastside cats do, Rza, J-Dilla, Large Professor, Marley Marl, but with a southern twist, but my set up may be my problem...
Right now the only thing I have to make beats is Fruity Loops, and I do well with it, ive only been making beats for 8 or so months, but my productions already are 10 times better than any other kids at my schools, but there all wack, so I should just stop bragging...
But what I am planning to do is get, either Reason, or Pro Tools ( Not sure which one to get ) and I want to either map out me with the mpc on there, or somehow convert the stuff to get on my DAW, but I have a crappy ass soundcard, so I dont want to lose quality. I also plan to get a MIDI Keyboard, so I can lay drum patterns, and sample, but I want to map instruments on The keyboard...
So which MPC do you think would be best for me, price aside... Quality is a big issue, cause I dont want my ish sounding like something made with a shoestring budget, but I want to have the abilty to make gritty sounding tracks...
What would you suggest for me???
I saw a MPC 60 on E-Bay for $200, but the whole issue with the media you save it on, and getting it onto my DAW looks like a hassle, and it looks like the quality would be poor, even though Im trying to punch in crisp hard drum samples.

By d_loc Wed Jun 28, 2006 5:51 am
Go with the 1k I say, you don't want to use a crappy soundcard to get sounds in and out of the PC. With the 1k or 2.5k, you have everything you neeed for a starter studio, mix automation, effects, even record vocals. A mixer, and good soundcard, is needed to get the most out of the features that people like about the 60 and 3000! For a "all round" sample workstation, the newer MPC's, or a 2000xl, is probly better.

I'm not saying they sound or are built better though. I have a 1000 and might trade for a 2000xl.