Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By homiedontplaydat Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:53 pm
Bought it yesterday, mint condition, £550 ($1000). :shock:

It's pretty much new. Box, instructions, leads and whatever in perfect condition; it even has the little plastic over the screen.

My advice: Soundonsound.com readers ads.
After searching Ebay for a long time, I got both my MPC's from soundonsound, at prices far better than I could find on Ebay. And you can talk them down.

I haven't really got much to say on my first impressions of it compared to the 2000XL so far, as my girl has been in the way constantly (see http://mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?t=49818&start=30), but...

1. The screen is green. The f*ck's up with that? (Yes, I knew it was green before I bought it, but nonetheless) I'm not really feeling that. White power (OMG RACIST).

2. The cursor buttons and scroll wheel and sh*t are on the wrong side. I kept reaching for the cursor and hitting the Q-Link sliders.

3. I just prefer the way the 2000XL looks. It's like a dope, retro old Nintendo.

This thing is like a spaceship.

That's about it. Besides that, I haven't really got to use it yet. I know you're probably thinking "If you hate it so much, why did you buy it?"

The price (£550 :shock:), the convenience of transferring files via USB, mute groups, fast processor, maybe another few things. Dope. I'll see how things work out with this, and how much I appreciate these features. I'm not exactly Richie Rich, so I've got to sell one of these two. This next week or so will determine whether I'll keep this, or my much-loved 2000XL.

I'll keep you posted...

By Antonym Sun Jun 25, 2006 2:08 pm
congrats on the price, that's wild!

i dunno about which to sell though man that's a really hard choice. you being so used to the old xl you might want to stay - plus you could make a heavy profit off that 2500...

but then again you'd be kicking yourself if it gets mad upgrades.

tough choice. i'd have to spend more time with an xl to choose.
i actually plan on buying an xl someday if i have the extra extra extra loot for nostalgic purposes.
By _Stilo_ Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:12 pm
homiedontplaydat wrote:
1. The screen is green. The f*ck's up with that? (Yes, I knew it was green before I bought it, but nonetheless) I'm not really feeling that. White power (OMG RACIST).

2. The cursor buttons and scroll wheel and sh*t are on the wrong side. I kept reaching for the cursor and hitting the Q-Link sliders.

3. I just prefer the way the 2000XL looks. It's like a dope, retro old Nintendo.

If that's your main concerns, go with the 2500 - if you really can't afford keeping the 2000XL, for, like Antonym said, nostalic reasons :wink:

The screen is bigger and better readable after all, the layout is a pure matter of familiarization, and just choosing the 2000XL for its looks...well...
I like the old-school grey look as well, but it's no criterion of choice.

Peace

By outsida.2 Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:55 pm
Haha you sound like me. I sold my XL then got the 2500 and was learning how to use my MPC again. Its all good now though the more you spend time with it you will notice that its just a really (IMO) suped up XL with some nasty/needed upgrades that's brought it into the new millennium.

By homiedontplaydat Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:39 pm
Okay my girl has finally gotten the hell outta here so I'm messing with it a bit now. Loaded up a couple programs I'd saved from my XL, liking it a bit more. A few more observations:

1. The scroll wheel sucks. Seriously. I wish I could take out the 2000XL one and implant it into this one.

2. The screen is green. :?

3. Loading screens with the pads instead of the numeric buttons is odd, but I'll get used to it.

4. I don't really like grid edit so far. I was expecting it to be great, since I'd originally started off on software programs, but I guess I got used to the the whole realtime thing, and editing via step edit, so I think I'll still be using that way. Though I haven't gotten deep into grid edit as of yet. I'm glad it's there though, it'll be an option for later.

5. Mute groups is dope. Far more convenient than the XL's 'Mutes pad __ and pad __' option.

6. The f*cking screen is green. :?

7. The pads are a bit stiffer than the XL's, though this is undoubtedly due to my XL being 5 or so years old, as opposed to this being a few months old, with very little use.

If a mod would be so kind as to move this to the MPC comparison forum, I'd appreciate it. I think this thread is a bit more of a 2500/2000XL thread than anything else.
Last edited by homiedontplaydat on Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

By Siver Mon Jun 26, 2006 9:09 pm
wasn't there a thread about someone asking if they could swap the screens? don't know if he did it or if he was just asking if it was possible

By Antonym Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:30 am
wouldn't be a good idea to swap the screens, from my uninformed knowledge that it probably isn't your best bet to put really old computer hardware with really new computer hardware.

By _Stilo_ Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:32 am
homiedontplaydat wrote:2. The screen is green. :?

[...]

6. The f*cking screen is green. :?

:D
I get the impression you don't like the color of the screen?

No, seriously...swap the screens? With what? There is no other MPC LCD that would fit the 2500. Let alone connecting it to the mainboard...
Only possibility would be to exchange the backlight, but I'm not sure if that would change the color. I guess the backlight is plain white, and the color defined by the matrix itself, which you can't modify.

By homiedontplaydat Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:24 pm
Haha, nah, I'll get used to the screen. Eventually. I'm not some kinda MacGuyver electrical engineer or whatever to be messing around with changing screens and whatever just because I don't like the colour.

Anyway, I've decided to sell my beloved XL. :(

Just because if a few months down the line, I still just can't get into the 2500, I can always sell it for considerable profit and buy another XL. And if I was gonna keep the XL I'd have to go and buy a card reader instead of this stupid zip drive, which I'm too lazy to do.

Anyone in England wanna give my XL a good home? Check Ebay.

By Lampdog Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:35 pm
homiedontplaydat wrote:If a mod would be so kind as to move this to the MPC comparison forum, I'd appreciate it. I think this thread is a bit more of a 2500/2000XL thread than anything else.

Done. :D