Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.

By Blue Haze Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:29 am
It`s the person really not the gear if you spend time to learn it you can do pretty much what you want. If you don`t read and don`t learn basic midi you want do much of anything. That pretty much is it one has more automation than the other so people understand less of the basics.

Controlller to input your notes.

Track to record the events.

Output to sent the events to be heard.

Most important over all the bs is the fact how musicial the events you laid down in the tracks works!!!!! That is why a guy with a Amiga Computer, TR909, Juno keyboard, and Notatarian Software were able to hits.

Everyone can use anyone of the gear and be fine. Just up the composition ability and master MIDi. 8)

By asan Sun May 06, 2007 11:03 pm
Prophacee wrote:They are both cool machines. My MV8000 (512 RAM expansion, VGA, mouse). So I do know the experience with using the VGA/mouse. I have the MPC2500, not the 4000. On the MV you can change the resolution down and get tighter sequencing. On the MPC, there's nothing to change and there is no need to tinker to get a good swing, especially with the note repeat. They are both great machines and I'm assuming the 4000 is beast too. But you'll shell out another grand for it. Go cop one for a couple weeks play with it and take it back and trade for an MV. You can get into both of them good and then decide what features and characteristics best suit you. We all have our favorites so getting an unbiased opinion is hard even for users of both machines. I like the MPC better for what I want to do because I use my computer to do all of the DAW stuff like mastering and adding the complex FX, and it came with 8 outs and SPDIF I/O. One the MV8000 you have pay extra for 8 outs. I think Roland made a good effort at adding these features but I think VSTs are more powerful. Some kats love Fantom, some love Motif. Both are beast but until you see what each does best for you (particular instrument sounds, workflow, genre, sample rates, digital I/O, individual outs, expansion options) you'll never figure it out. Especially coming to this site. Just go cop one. Keep it for the 30 days you get and take it back and get the other. Hell, you can take that one back too, even if you like it and then look for a less expensive one on Ebay or something. Test drives are always the best way to feel sh!t out. Do you.

I'm with this guy. Although, I don't think all stores allow a person to "rent" out these machines w/ 30-day return policies. If so, just spend massive amounts of time reading .PDF's and then go to the store and try out the display models. Maybe bring some notes. That's what I do.

By The Translucent Mind Thu May 17, 2007 12:51 am
After seeing some of those videos on the 8800, I'd find it hard to believe that there's a better MPC out there at the moment. I'm sure their next bigdaddy machine will knock it out the box tho

By 14k Thu May 17, 2007 4:33 am
The Translucent Mind wrote:After seeing some of those videos on the 8800, I'd find it hard to believe that there's a better MPC out there at the moment. I'm sure their next bigdaddy machine will knock it out the box tho
You said a mouth-full. Many are just being loyal and that's cool cause I was too, but they'll soon see what the new gear that's misunderstood technology-wise can do! It takes awhile for the real truth to sink in!

Before the MPC-60 came on the scene many had a hard time swallowing that it was on a new level....same with the MV! :wink:

By dabmeister Thu May 17, 2007 2:01 pm
I'm sorry y'all, but it's just hard to sell me on the mv. There are a number of factors but one reason being, I own other Roland products and love them to death. But instead of getting all of one brand, I decided to mix things up a bit. I understand a lot of Rolands soundsets are installed on the new mv which is cool and all that, but when I flavor a little Triton here, Kurzweil there, add a little character with the Roland over here, then things begin to get interesting. Plus a lot of my file preferences are 24bit/44.1k and being able to not only swap these, but edit too and keep the workflow going without any downtime, means all the world to me. Maybe it's because I've moved on from the all-in-wonder stuff and started experimenting with other things. I've noticed different pieces have their strong points, which I try to take advantage of (& system integration being one of them), so by mixing these up, it helps me achieve more of what I'm looking for.

By 14k Thu May 17, 2007 9:54 pm
dabmeister,

I agree with your point about mixing gear and not being stuck with the "Brand Loyalty" tag. I like all sorts of gear myself! However when it comes to gear like MPC's & MV's your point takes on a different meaning! When you say Roland sounds....I understand that in a keyboard, but with Sampler/Sequencers you can add any sound! You can import Roland sounds on the MPC, so being stuck with Roland sounds in a sampler is the LAST thing I'd worry about! The only stock sounds I really use that came with the MV are the TR-808's. You can make a sampler sound like anything! That's what's cool about samplers...you can always update your sounds!! :wink: Keep in mind it's a midi sequencer....just like the MPC's are, so all of your external gear will sound the same!

I had a long history using MPC's that goes back to 1996. What drove me away was the small screens that kept fading out and Akai parts always being on back order. Now I have a big monitor for editing soundwaves....that helps speed the workflow you're talking about! You should know the support is GREAT! Don't have to wait on "JJ" and pay him for what should be done for free by the company that took your money!!

Now when it comes to 24bit, well many people have many opinions about that! Below is a chat between two fellow members:

_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_++_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_

MEMBER #1
(((Man unless you're tracking into a Pro-Tools rig , and I'm talking about a REAL PRO-Tools rig like a HD system NOT a M-Box or DIgi001 or 002 that ain't the real Pro Tools and its comes no where near it. Anyway, unless you're tracking into a real HD system with like Apogee converters or some other type of high end converters with a bad azz clocking system then mixing onto a nice analog console , ala Amek or Neve or SSL , then no 24 bit really is not gonna really make a diffrence to yours or anybody elses ear. Everything gets dithered back to down to 16bit before it goes to cd anyway and most guys that are doing hip-hop want their drums dirty n gritty so why the hell even care about 24 bit then ? hahaha ...naw man no real differnce IMHO especially just for sampling.)))

MEMBER #2
(((The real bottom line is that a crappy song tracked in 24 bit and dithered back to 16 bit won't sound better than a good song recorded/mixed/mastered at 16 bit. If the song is hot, the bits don't matter in the end.)))

By dabmeister Thu May 17, 2007 11:23 pm
First off, nice to meet you homie (no joke, I have to PM you on that though 14k). I'm from the old school and I always say that I had to learn musicianship before I got into anything beyond that. My genre & style of music goes way beyond the scope of hiphop, rap, crunk, etc. With these other styles, such as a ballad, requires a much different approach to the way things are recorded and done within rap/hiphop. Yes I strongly agree with you on the 16 bit issue because in the hiphop world those things are irrelevant to what's done in r&b for example. I also use a Roland R8 w/ a couple of expansion soundset cards and know what you mean about the TR-808, 909, sounds and etc (they're still fonkey). But I think with me, I've grown tired of the way Roland puts together their means of navigating and logically laying out their products. And during the time the 4k came out, Roland did'nt have anything to compete with it. This was the time I landed my 4k, so I've been working with this ever since and like I stated before, system integration (DAW to 4k file editing or akai sys) was one of those selling points for me. Plus I have an ASR-10 and 3 other full fledge samplers that I don't use to their full potential. And to add to it, I've tried the MV 8k out before at GC and was'nt that impressed with it. :( Bottom line is...some of us want to drive Farraris, others Lamborginis. :)

By 14k Fri May 18, 2007 12:34 am
Dabmeister,
Just to let you know that I respect you.... and your words are solid and make sence. I've been in the game for a while too! From my senior year in High School (1986) to now! I messed with Linn Drums, TR-808's 909's, SP 1200's, MPC-60, MPC -3000 and many more! I never owned any of those cause I was a young whipper-snapper and having a hot car was my only goal then, but I had full access to them. My first MPC was the 2000 (not XL) then I moved straight to the MV. That's not counting all the Drum machines I've had!

Anyway, I said all of that to say.....I understand your point! However, coming from an MPC mind, you'll never fully understand the MV just by checking it out in a store! Honestly, taking it home won't impress you much unless you really jump in it to see what's hidden under the hood! It's kinda like when the MPC 4000 first launched, many MPC heads hated it because it was a whole different ballgame from what they were used to! After they mastered the 4000 they saw that things made sence! Well same goes for the MV...it's different! The things that you don't think the MV has....it does and more really, but this is not the place to have that discussion! As long as we know that both devices are HOT and can hold their own is all that counts! Good Post! :wink:
Last edited by 14k on Fri May 18, 2007 1:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

By dabmeister Fri May 18, 2007 1:05 am
14k wrote:It's kinda like when the MPC 4000 first launched, many MPC heads hated it because it was a whole different ballgame from what they were used to! After they mastered the 4000 they see that things made since! Well same goes for the MV...it's different!
I honestly believe your statement and know that it is a different machine. Maybe if I take some time with it, I'll be more in tuned to absorb some of it's functions & features, then I'll start wanting one and have to figure out how I'm going to get it. :x But believe me dawg, it's some truth when they say "it aint too late to teach an old dog new tricks", 'cause that's my problem, I don't wanna learn any new tricks at the moment. :)

By Avene Sat May 19, 2007 11:44 am
Someone mentioned hoking up the Roland to a monitor. You can work like that using AkSys software and the MPC4000. Edit programs, create keymaps, filters, etc. No waveform editing, but while the computer's hooked up via AkSys, there's nothing stopping you editng some sounds in a program like Soundforge and dumping them straight into the MPC4000's memory.

Never used the MV's myself. Not saying they're bad, but I'm sure if I used one there'd be things I'd miss from the MPCs. All companies have their own way of doing things. The MPC4000 works well, everything makes sense and I'm happy with it. It's got all the synth features I need, the Q-Links let you do some crazy stuff.

At the end of the day, it's whatever you're comfortable with.

By 14k Sat May 19, 2007 9:05 pm
Avene,
I'll NEVER knock or talk down about the MPC's, especially on an MPC forum! The 4000 is a beast! I've used a MPC for over 10 years so there's much love for Akai!

Everything you mentioned above the MV does! It's got a built-in Bass modeling synth engine....plus a drum grid editor, pencil tools, many of Roland's effect processors, piano or keyboard screen...all without even touching or using your computer!

I'm not trying to change anybody's mind about the MV, but there's alot of features on the MV that would surprise you :wink:

By Avene Sun May 20, 2007 11:02 am
14K, yeah, I'm sure it's got some mad features, and I'm not knocking it either. The MPC4000 has been around for 5 years now, so Roland have had plenty of time to put together the MV's.

Just saying you could still use the MPC4000 in a similar way with an external monitor. Still, I believe that having a big external monitor and mouse kind of defeats the purpose of using one of these units! AkSys has a great program editing interface, but I only ever use it to transfer sounds back and forth.

I'm sure anyone who's never used an MPC could easily feel quite at home with an MV8800. But a lot of previous MPC users may not feel as comfortable with a different interface. If I ever thought of switching to an MV myself, I'd have to do some thorough investigating into how they worked, what features are missing and so on. But currently I have too many incomplete tracks on my 4000 to ever part with it. Plus, still feel that I haven't fully exploited every feature so will be hanging onto it for a while yet.

That said, if Akai were to release a replacement that was fully compatible and could load all my multis, programs, sequences and samples, I'd be tempted to check it out 8)

By parkerlewis Wed May 30, 2007 2:55 pm
monitor/mouse with 4000 doesn't defeat the purpose at all. Most 4000 users are using them in a studio, not drumming out beats on the bus to work.
It's a studio machine, but can be used live.
I'm **** keen to use a MV8800 with a monitor and mouse. Sounds like the best of both worlds to me.
Back home I'm a computer/protools/mpd16 user but here/now in Japan I'm a temporary 1000 user. Looking to upgrade though, because the 1000 is a wimpy unit, with a screen that gives me neck pain!

By 14k Thu May 31, 2007 8:11 pm
The Roland MV series has all the exclusive functions with the mouse and monitor as it does on the control panel! Well, really even more shortcuts using the mouse. It doesn't work like the AkSys software, you have more control with the MV! You have all the editing features, QWERT keyboard for quickly naming songs, tracks and such...even down to shutting the MV off with the mouse. I know you don't need a mouse to shut off your gear...I'm just saying that it interacts exclusively with whatever you're doing, not just editing or swaping files.

So for tricky editing task and overall workflow, you don't have to look at small screen! The keyboard note screen is a big time-saver too! Just hit a note on an external keyboard and that same note shows up on the MV's keyboard screen, along with which pad will trigger that same note! The pattern grid looks good on a big screen! You also can change the theme colors. I know software sequencers have had those features for years, but we're talking about a Hardware unit with those features! :wink:
By tonea Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:18 am
is this the mpc forum or the mv 8800 forum, i am confused with all you guys talking about you had an mpc but you now have a mv 8800. you guys should be at mvnation. we use mpc and we talk mpc, the debate is over, who cares, they both can jam, one is new school the other old school.