Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.

By Gruik Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:42 pm
By 14k Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:18 am
tonea wrote:is this the mpc forum or the mv 8800 forum, i am confused with all you guys talking about you had an mpc but you now have a mv 8800. you guys should be at mvnation. we use mpc and we talk mpc, the debate is over, who cares, they both can jam, one is new school the other old school.

You're right, but look at the title of this topic! That should give user's of either device an invitation to comment! :wink:
By moyphee Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:28 am
How many times can you guys have the exact same discussion?
By tonea Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:33 am
thats right, freedom of forum.
By moyphee Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:30 pm
tonea wrote:thats right, freedom of forum.

Not according to your prior statement.

Originally posted by tonea:
is this the mpc forum or the mv 8800 forum, i am confused with all you guys talking about you had an mpc but you now have a mv 8800. you guys should be at mvnation.

By tonea Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:06 pm
my bad, freedom of mpc forum.

By NsOakland6 Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:42 pm
Havent been on this forum since i had my last MPC which was a while ago but re-found this site looking for mv8800 vs mpc debates and reviews. I just ordered a MV-8800 like a day or 2 ago (will be here monday). I must say from owning mpc's and messing around with demo 8000's and 8800 that so far the only thing i see the 4000 or any other MPC has over the 8800 is the SOUND (as Somebody else mentioned). I love the thick punchy bright sound of MPC's, but i belive i can make the MV come close, it has a warmer muddyer sound stock. If i can make my own mastering parameter maps in the MV and save it so i can use it all the time that will be my first move.

By baseone Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:51 pm
14k wrote:I respect the 4000 cause I know it's a BEAST, but Akai support is garbage! I went to Roland's MV because the support is great! After dealing with Akai support for almost a year just to get a part for a machine that was still on the market.....sucks! Then to be told to just by a new unit when the one I had was only 9 months old....well that puts a bad taste in your mouth! My LED screen faded out which meant down-time in the studio!

Now when I found out the MV had a VGA expansion, and you could use any monitor screen you wanted...any size, that sparked my interest! As I began to research the MV, I found it had more options and up to date features. So I gave it a try. I hated the MV at first, because like many, I had a MPC background! Now, I realize the MV is a beast too!!!!

I had a row of pads go out on the 4g and the support was great for me.
nice people..
timely..
it was on warranty...
roland is cool but mpc's have always been my thing..

By tonea Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:21 pm
mpc is a better sequencer, and a better drum machine, mv is an all around production studio, they both are cool.

By konc3pt Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:09 am
I wanna say the MV is real dope machine for its features and functionality. Dunno about the rest...
By Huemanyst Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:23 pm
Man you gotta watch the videos on this MV-8800 on the Roland site. There are different options for quantisize, like 4 different types and you can also adjust the strength therefore; your music can retain as much natural groove as you desire...PLEASE PEOPLE WATCH THE DEMOS AND INFORM YOURSELF...

Being a network tech and PC man myself I have built a kick AZZ DAW for my twin brother and I hardware wise w/ Cubase SX3, Reason vs. 3, Halion 3, Sampletank 2.2, Moog VST etc...

And I have to say even though I like the MPCs' pungent sound and timing the MV8800 is the hybrid I have been waiting for the almost perfect cross b/w the MPC/DAW world on the fly and portable...But it does need more outputs though... :wink:

By Huemanyst Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:33 pm
Great thorough analysis man and feeling your critique for real. The MV is very impressive and a very great hybrid close to the best of both worlds from MPC to DAW...You have preety much helped me w/ my decision...Plus I wanna try something new anyway since my brother owns a MPC already for which I have used for the last seven years and I'm just not feeling the cramped layout anymore and mini visual display...

Peace

By mjames4208 Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:50 pm
what is AKAI doing with the MPC brand for winter namm 2008?
I'm selling my MV8000 with VGA/mouse and output expansion....
I love my MV but I have an S3000xl that I trigger my drum samples from
because my drums just ( in my opinion ) sound better coming out of the S3000XL. or i may look into what roger linn is doing with his new drum machine.

By Huemanyst Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:44 pm
moyphee wrote:I own both the 4000 and MV and have never had such a problem. Simply reading the manual explains the quantize functions simply and in good detail. Turning the quantize off exposes the player's off timing not the machine's. This true with any sequencer.

As a former 2000 owner I don't personally find anything great about a robotic 96PPQN. Try playing a piano solo at 96PPQN and every bit of expressiveness is reduced to rigid inaccurate garbage.

It's your money you have to choose what works for you. Who cares if it works or doesn't work for anyone else? Buy it with a 30 day return policy and you can figure which machine works (or not work) for you.

Read the MV manual on page 229 and the quantize is easily explained. It'll take you a whole 5 minutes to understand the MV's quantize. It may help in your decision making.

http://lib.roland.co.jp/manual/en/dl_04 ... 0_r_e4.pdf

Have you had any problems with "White Noise" on any of the tracks or a hissing sound?