Can't decide which MPC to choose? Read these resources or post your questions here.
By mr_debauch Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:13 pm
Well I think the screen output is a cool idea if you are sitting down with a friend making beats so both can easily see what is going on... also for those older machines such as the 3000 it is kind of handy to have it in case you wind up some day with lines through the screen you have a second option.
By konc3pt Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:10 pm
Askia Shaheed wrote:
konc3pt wrote:
Askia Shaheed wrote:If people start making music with their ears instead of their eyes...maybe we would have better music. A lack of a VGA monitor has certainly not stopped the creativty of many musicians....

is that why you always gotta have the latest and greatest ?

mpc2500, roland mv8000, now mpc 5000 and fantom g... somehow they all got big screens with exception of mpc2500

I will always purchase the latest and greatest...but this has nothing to do with screen sizes...

If you practice what you preach about making music with ears instead of eyes. then how come you got rid of the 2500?.

paired up with rack sampler like z4, z8, or s6000 that you had. would give you more sampling time that what you currently got with 5000. btw that s6000 happened to have a large screen, connected thru ak.sys to computer's even larger screen :shock:

featurewise you didnt gain much either. besides internal synth and more assignable controls.
Last edited by konc3pt on Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Askia Shaheed Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:45 am
konc3pt wrote:
If you practice what you preach about making music with ears instead of eyes. then how come you got rid of the 2500?.

paired up with rack sampler like z4 or z8 would give you more sampling time that what you currently got with 5000.

featurewise you didnt gain much either. besides internal synth and more assignable controls.

I guess you missed it the first time....I picked up the 5K because it has features that I want that the 2500 doesn't. A larger screen is not something I really need. You are obviously not familar with the feature set of the 5K. Download the manual or visit the 5K forum if you want futher details.

Sample time. Having more sample time does not mean better music. If I needed more sample time, I wouldn't use a hardware sampler.
By konc3pt Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:01 am
I never said more sample time means better music, where did you get that ?

care to list what features and how you put them to use ?

after toying with 5000 at guitar center I pretty much lost interest in that machine. it has nothing to offer that would make me jump on it.

besides features of mpc50000 dont make better musi as opposed to any other drum machine/ sampler you owned.

did akai let you in on secret OS update for the 5000 with auto-beatmaker feature or what ?
By Askia Shaheed Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:50 am
konc3pt wrote:
did akai let you in on secret OS update for the 5000 with auto-beatmaker feature or what ?

Maybe....I would have to kill you if I told you :lol:
By ToOxSicK Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:29 am
The one thing that many mv users is stated and that is that mv is ahead of mpc series i found untrue,but there is possibility that it might happen with new one if they dropped next year.Roland could take an advantage and improve their sequencer perhaps they could improve resolution from 480 to 960 also.I think akai enter into this competition with roland thinking to bring over their costumers i don't think that happen with numark series.They would be better of if they took 4000 to whole another level if they kept 4k features and add these from 5k.Even thou am a 5k user i have to say that they stated false statement by saying that 5k had all 4k features and plus synth a arp and hd recording.Thats not the way to do business i do like my 5k don't get me wrong,but i think they failed to deliver the best mpc ever but is still not late if they decide it to do in future updates.And i also want to mention that in statement that just blaze made about mpc 5000 there is few things that are not accurate ,i don't think he took enough time to understand the machine but a lot of things he said were on point.Akai had edge over roland they don't have to compete with them if they kept doing what they been doing but now they have serious problem if roland delivers on namm.I'll be watching closely if they improve sequencer they will get my money too.

I DO NOT WANT TO MANIPULATE ANYONE'S DECISION I JUST STATED MY OPINION
By dustedwax Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:21 pm
Ok,…I'm at work right now, so I apologize if I've overlooked this detail.

I read a blog I think on Just Blaze's megatrondon site…He said something about on one of Jay Z's songs..i think 'song cry', that he had 96 chops of a sample. He stated something along the lines of him not having to tune each sample by let's say -3, because he could do that to the whole patch…This I guess was one of his main issues with the MV's.
Does anyone here know if the abilty to tune, set the release, one shot etc is possible across a whole patch on an Instrument is possible on the MV. Maybe Just Blaze didn't explore that option, or that was an issue in a prior OS for the MV.

Maybe a stupid question. I know I had my issues with my MV when I first got it…but as I've been learning it, that these days has been a bit of a nuisance….especially if I use auto chop, and have to set the Release, 1 shot, tuning etc, on every single chop.

Thanks for any feedback…I'm expecting Lamp or on of the man dem to bad me up, but I'm used it…and it's been a long ass time since I been on here posting.

Re:

By JUKE 179r Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:41 pm
Gruik wrote:About updates...mv8000 in v3.52 is super stable.

Especially when the MV8000 OS is now at v3.54.

apextech wrote:The MV has NO TIMING ISSUES and also has a great support group at mvnation.

For those of you who say they had an MV and got rid of it,well too bad.YOU REALY HAVE NOT USED THE MV UNTIL YOU GET THE MOUSE & VGA EXPANSION.I had a hard time with it until i hooked up the monitor.It was like it was a whole new machine again.I then realised that most of the people who traded the MV NEVER GOT THE MOUSE AND MONITOR UPGRADE.They also had that old operating system.YOU WILL UNDERSTAND THE FULL POWER OF THE MV WHEN YOUR USING IT WITH THE MOUSE AND VGA EXPANSION :D

+1

14k wrote: I hated the MV at first, because like many, I had a MPC background! Now, I realize the MV is a beast too!!!!

+1
By dustedwax Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:55 am
dustedwax wrote:Ok,…I'm at work right now, so I apologize if I've overlooked this detail.

I read a blog I think on Just Blaze's megatrondon site…He said something about on one of Jay Z's songs..i think 'song cry', that he had 96 chops of a sample. He stated something along the lines of him not having to tune each sample by let's say -3, because he could do that to the whole patch…This I guess was one of his main issues with the MV's.
Does anyone here know if the abilty to tune, set the release, one shot etc is possible across a whole patch on an Instrument is possible on the MV. Maybe Just Blaze didn't explore that option, or that was an issue in a prior OS for the MV.

Maybe a stupid question. I know I had my issues with my MV when I first got it…but as I've been learning it, that these days has been a bit of a nuisance….especially if I use auto chop, and have to set the Release, 1 shot, tuning etc, on every single chop.

Thanks for any feedback…I'm expecting Lamp or on of the man dem to bad me up, but I'm used it…and it's been a long ass time since I been on here posting.

bump...anyone?
By dustedwax Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:23 am
dustedwax wrote:
dustedwax wrote:Ok,…I'm at work right now, so I apologize if I've overlooked this detail.

bump...anyone?

****. I shoulda read the manual. Just Blaze was wrong.
By LvngDead Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:26 am
He said the MPC5000 OS 1.0 couldn't tune a whole a program, not the MV.

Yes on the MV it's possible to tune all the sounds in a patch/program/instrument together.
By dustedwax Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:08 pm
LvngDead wrote:He said the MPC5000 OS 1.0 couldn't tune a whole a program, not the MV.

Yes on the MV it's possible to tune all the sounds in a patch/program/instrument together.

And CUTOFFS! sick!
By dustedwax Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:11 am
dustedwax wrote:
LvngDead wrote:He said the MPC5000 OS 1.0 couldn't tune a whole a program, not the MV.

And CUTOFFS! sick!

oh, and my bad if I was confused the MV8000/MPC5000 capabilities. Sorry Just.
By moyphee Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:48 am
ToOxSicK wrote:Roland could take an advantage and improve their sequencer perhaps they could improve resolution from 480 to 960 also.

To be honest there's not many humans that can play anything complex enough to trip up a sequencer at 480. This why Korg, Yamaha, and Roland workstation sequencers top off at 480PPQN without complaint. OTOH- the MV far exceeds the 4000 (actually all MPCs) in it's edit resolution - which is 3480PPQN. So if Roland had opted to do so, they could indeed record 3480PPQN but it would be purely cosmetic, like the 996.

IMHO, I think being able to adjust notes in minute increments at a higher resolution is far more useful.
By JUKE 179r Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:51 am
This was a good read again about the MV vs. MPC.
For me, I'm downsizing due to my gear lust so I'm considering selling either my MV8800 or MPC4000.
Each sampler has it's differences which is why I bought them and like both.
The MV8000/8800 for it's multitude of sounds and effects, the mouse and VGA MV8-VGA card (though I connect it to a 42" flat screen LCD) opens up more options when used, optical outs with the rare MV8-OP1 card.
With the MPC4000, I have a way better work flow since I use other MPC's and incorporate the MPC4000 & Ak.Sys via USB on a Mac/ Windows computer for editing.