Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By fayekhelmi Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:02 pm
Hi all, I bought a used MPC 2500 that i "refurbished" and modded to a new encoder style jobwheel (based on a very helpful tutorial found on the forums)

The MPC did not come with a CF card so i bought a 16GB sandisk ultra from amazon and it seems like the MPC is not able to access it at all... it freezes up the MPC and when i tried to mount and then insert it it can't access the card.

i checked the pins inside and everything seems to be straight and clean. i don't know what can i do to get it to work.

i'm trying to find an efficient way of transfering samples from my computer that won't take an eternity on usb 1 protocol (moving 4GB estimated me 18 hours)

thanks

The MPC is running the JJOSXL version (without the password, i haven't purchased the license yet)
By NearTao Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:15 pm
Do you know how the CF card is formatted? I'd try fat32, as that ought to work best.

If you don't know how to do this, post what PC operating system you are using and somebody can probably link in some instructions to check as well as to format the CF properly.
By MGoolas Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:28 am
Mpc DOES NOT play well with large CF cards and I had to learn it the hard way as I got a 16gig CF and it is extremely unstable.
Believe it or not a CF adaptor with a 16 gig micro sd works perfectly and it is as fast as a 1gb cf card. I don't know why but MPC hates large CF cards but somehow works perfectly with large micro sds
By fayekhelmi Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:10 pm
MGoolas wrote:Mpc DOES NOT play well with large CF cards and I had to learn it the hard way as I got a 16gig CF and it is extremely unstable.
Believe it or not a CF adaptor with a 16 gig micro sd works perfectly and it is as fast as a 1gb cf card. I don't know why but MPC hates large CF cards but somehow works perfectly with large micro sds

THANK YOU!

i too was curious about that since i've seen people use CF card adaptors and it works well but my actual CF wasn't mounting properly... i wanted to try to get the adaptor but figured it would just be money spent down the drain since it would probably not work.

I borrowed a CF card reader for PC from a friend and managed to mount the card to the PC and it was working fine and formatted to fat32 like it should.

what's really weird is that the memorycard can be read by the MPC but it just won't mount.

I have a 32gb microsd card lying around so i'll give that sd -> cf card adator a chance and see, if that doesn't work then i give up.

at least i managed to swap out the hard drive for a 128GB microsd card. and that works soooo good.
i just want the flexibility of being able to copy stuff from the computer straight to a memory card then insert it into the MPC. transfering samples over usb1.1 is a exercise in torture
By saltmcgault Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:26 pm
I used to have the same problem. I cant remember if it was a format issue or not. Buy a sd to cf card adapter $12 on amazon. make sure you format it. I also did the same for the hardrive. ide 2 sd adapter "i think" and its also under $20. Now I have 128gb in my hard drive and in my memory card slot. I haven't had any problems since. ill find the thread and post it here when I get a chance. :smoker:

Make sure to name your samples sequences and programs and save every project in a individual folders, with all that space it can turn into a cluster **** REAL quick. lol
By dknblze Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:11 am
It's the CF card. It's too large. The same thing happened to me about two weeks ago when I tried to use a 32gb CF card. MPC would freeze up and wouldn't allow me to save files nor transfer them to my computer. Downgraded to an 8gb CF card and the issues disappeared.
By MGoolas Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:59 am
NearTao wrote:I've used 1gb, 8gb, 32gb, 64gb, 128gb, and 256gb CF cards with no problem. It's likely not working due to differences in manufacturing processes or how it operates, but I've definitely had CF cards of varying sizes work just fine.

That's interesting, what brand do you use ? Seems like my 1000 hates 16gb sandisk CF cards. I have heard people having a better experience with Kingston cards