Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By JeriKo Jackson Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:03 pm
I HIGHLY recommend you JJOS users explore. Been messing with this for a couple months now. Switched back to JJOS from the Live some months ago. Setting pads to play patterns is super powerful and flexible especially for live performance. It's like using a different machine almost. One of these days I'll do a video breaking it down.
By seyball Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:29 am
JeriKo Jackson wrote:I HIGHLY recommend you JJOS users explore. Been messing with this for a couple months now. Switched back to JJOS from the Live some months ago. Setting pads to play patterns is super powerful and flexible especially for live performance. It's like using a different machine almost. One of these days I'll do a video breaking it down.

Hi

great was interested in this topic
By JeriKo Jackson Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:09 am
Yeah, Im gonna put together a little tutorial video on it. It's difficult to explain in words but I'll give a brief rundown when I get home and have the machine in front of me.

Have a look at the JJOSXL manual. You will see you can set the pads to different modes. If you are on main screen and cursor to the empty field next to the pad number you can use the jog wheel to set it to a different mode. You will notice you can select pattern.

There are 2 ways to create a pattern. Press record and play pads or Grid Mode and enter notes to create a new sequence. Press Shift and then F1 (to pattern). Save as a pattern.

Go to whatever pad, set mode to the newly created pattern. Now, you may ask yourself why would you do it this way. This where a video is necessary but... Start with the first 4 pads in bank A. Assign some drums... kick, snare, hats. Create 1 pattern with just the kick drum on the 1st beat. On the 4 pads with the various drum sounds set them to pad mode > pattern. On Pads 2 - 4 cursor over next to "TR" and offset the pad by the necessary increments. for Pad 2 it will be +01, Pad 3 +02 etc
The pads will play and loop the pattern for the sound on the pads. Sequencer doesnt have to play. Tempo freely adjustable. You can vary the pattern and swing by the timing you launch the patterns. With higher resolution subdivisions you can get crazy variations.

I went as far as creating dozens of patterns with different subdivisions. You can swap them on the fly. You can also create patterns for sample chops and assign that to a pad. You can then offset chops for variation. Play with Mute groups, pads muting other pads, etc.

I'll get a video together eventually... In the meantime try to get more out of JJOSXL... I switched back from the new machines for good reason.
By sympsonite Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:23 pm
Hi Jeriko. Have been playing around with patterns in pad mode recently too. Have been trying to find info RE the max amount of patterns which can be used/saved.. is it 8? There appears to be only 8 slots at least.
By MGoolas Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:05 pm
Pad pattern along with pad status sets is one of the most powerful features for live performance on jjos. You could literally create full live sets without even pressing play on the sequencer.
By bliprock Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:06 am
200 bars I think is the pattern limit. Pad patterns can be sent to different outs midi wise even on the same bank; plus 4 banks, so 64 clips. Also worth trying is using midi patterns that control synths. So instead of notes you send CC data say for a filter sweep. Great thing is it stays to tempo if you change tempo. and don't forget loop option .