Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By Edwardo Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:30 pm
Formatted in Mac in FAT format using Disk Utility, don't see the option for FAT32 available. Then copied Akai OS to the CF card and into the MPC.

How do I check if using master boot record when formatting? Is this in Disk Utility or should I be doing it some other way?

Seems weird that the CF card crapped out just because I went from Akai OS to JJOS to JJOS XL, done this a couple of times before and never had any problems. Also assume the CF isn't knackered as it shows up and works fine in the card reader.

Thanks
By maara Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:31 am
I know how to do it ut i didn't found any suitable video on the youtube to show you...
Anyway - when you are in the disk utility, choose the cf drive there and click "partitions" tab on the top, chose "Volume scheme" to "1 Partition" and under the schema of the partition schema, there is "Options" button. Click it and choose "Master boot record".
By default, mac is formating to GUID instead of master boot record which causes that the device is unreadable in most other devices.... :-(
Check the osx how-to below or simply format it to fat in Windows because they do it natively...

If you need some mor help, send me an email or pm and a I will help you...

Adding MBR (open disk utility):
1. Click your HARD DRIVE on left you want to format
2. Click Partition Tab
3. Click the "Volume Scheme" Pull down, Partition 1, 2 and so on.
4. Once you select a partition type you should see the "Options..." button enabled.
5. Click "Options"
6. Select "Master Boot Record", Click "OK"
7. Select the Format you want under "Format" menu, do this for both partitions or a single partition if you choose to do a single FAT32 partition.
8. Confirm, apply etc..

M.
By Edwardo Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:47 pm
Still can't get this thing to start up!

Have tried removing HD and RAM, booting from CF card and am now totally stuck with what to do next...

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas before I throw it out of the window?

Cheers
By opchando Wed May 18, 2011 2:35 am
hello,
i too have the same problem with the mpc2500 128mb installed FREEZE!!!! i just up dated the xl2.24 frm 2.20 and i got the brain freeze... Have you gotten to any solution with your mpc???
By opchando Wed May 18, 2011 3:16 am
ok i just solved my problem... i did the reload of the bin file of the orig akai os... then i loaded the free jj 3.09 like in the manual... then i reloaded the 2.24 and all is good... my thoughts are i had to redownload and resave the 2.24 update because maybe my computer did not have a full and complete save of the file and when i loaded the up date thats when i got the freeze in the mpc2500 128mb installed screen.
By maara Fri May 20, 2011 9:32 am
It took a bit long didn't it? :-D
Anyway its fine its working and the cause of this problem seems a little bit funny... :-)))
By Si-Tone Sun May 22, 2011 4:07 am
I had Exactly your problem a while back. The only way I could fix it was to put the original AKAI OS on the root directory of an original akai CF card, then turn on Mpc holding down window.

It didnt work with any other os's and it didnt work with my 2gig card. No amount of formatting or anything made any difference.

Put the OS on the root of your (or someone elses!) Akai CF Card, and make sure the file is named MPC2500.bin
no other file or name seemed to work for me.

I had to borrow the original card off someone in my area, and use an internet cafe that had card readers to get the right file in the right place on the card!

good luck
By Triple-X Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:50 pm
I just came across this issue today attempting to update from 3.08 to 3.10.
It failed writing to flash at around 40%, at which point I swallowed my tongue, and felt my heart drop. Screen said Flash memory write failure or something to that effect, I was too mortified to recall the exact wording. Although I do recall turning it on and off and seeing :
==== MPC2500 OS UPDATE ====
WRONG CARD !

A quick search yielded a fix.

Using a generic 64MB CF card, I popped it into my pc, deleted its contents (did not format) and put just the 1.23 Akai OS on it, nothing else.

Then I popped it into the 2500 (prior to even turning off the mpc with it still displayed the error msg above, and it instanly recognized the mpc2500.bin file, and F6 displayed "DO IT".. so i "DID IT"... and VOILA!
back up and running via Akai 1.23.

I then copied JJOSFREE 3.10, and todays updated version of OSXL 3.10 onto the same CF card via my pc, and installed both the free and osxl operating systems without a hitch. I TRULY Hope everyone else has the same luck/outcome.

God I phuckin love this forum.
By opchando Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:26 pm
Edwardo,

How did u make out? I had the same problem and has happened to me twice now. When I download new xlos updates I noticed my problem is that if I dont download the new file correctly to my cf card and try to load new os I get the same 128 stall in bootup.. So like others mentioned I have to re install orig akai os loaded on a cf card and press window while powering up.. Then I redownload the updated version of osxl and follow jj directions with loading the free version first than xl.. Like I said my problem is when I don't get a solid download and I try to install it so when I get the 128 freeze I kno I have to go back and download the os revision again and it all works out.. Thanks to the peeps here I have gotten some help so I feel I can try to give back what was do freely given to me..

Omar
By emceewhiterabbit Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:41 pm
Edwardo wrote:Really annoying and don't understand how switching from JJOS to Akai OS then back to JJOS could screw up the MPC!

there is a valuable lesson to be learned here....

this thread is very useful in-case this happens to me (which - i am assuming - it will)
By Edwardo Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:28 pm
emceewhiterabbit wrote:
Edwardo wrote:Really annoying and don't understand how switching from JJOS to Akai OS then back to JJOS could screw up the MPC!

there is a valuable lesson to be learned here....

this thread is very useful in-case this happens to me (which - i am assuming - it will)

Haha, yes! Lesson learned - Don't ever switch back! I was trying to get back a project on made on Akai OS which I can't load/access in JJOS but it really wasn't worth the hassle.

Same as many others here the only way I could get this resolved was to use the original Akai CF card, took some finding to dig mine out after so long but when I did it worked straight away.

Cheers
By Diatonis Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:01 am
THANK YOU MPC FORUMS. :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:
Had this same problem and the advice here totally fixed it.

Yes, you don't need the original mpc cards. I used a 64mb scandisk, straight out of the very old box, unformatted, with the akai OS (the bin file) the only thing on the card. Turned it on holding window, and got the option to load the OS back on. It was thrilling!