Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By ceejuice Sat May 07, 2011 4:03 am
My Mpc somehow just got f*cked.
I turn on my 2500 soon as I get up and now the machine won't boot.

Currently on the free version of the JJOS, it also could be that I tried something new by creating an 'Autoload' folder for my favourite drum sounds, but everything was working perfectly fine last night.

I've tried holding erase while booting up, nothing happens.
I also havn't had the chance to go through a card reader.

Any suggestions?

Below is the error after the Memory dialogue

==== MPC2500 OS UPDATE ====

WRONG CARD !!
By Edwardo Sat May 07, 2011 2:57 pm
Hi ceejuice,

I had this exact same problem a while ago, see thread here for details:

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=141201

The way I sorted it out was by using the original Akai CF card that came with the MPC (after spending HOURS trying to find it).

You then need to install the OS file from the Akai CF card (you might need a card reader to put the OS file on there if it's not already). Boot from the card by turning on the MPC while holding down the window button. This worked for me anyway, all the other CF cards I tried would not work and I got the same error message.

Hope this helps!

Ed
By ceejuice Sun May 08, 2011 12:09 pm
Thanks for the reply
I was lucky enough to find another spare CF card to swap around and surprisingly it worked.
So I figured that any CF card to replace should be fine.
By Triple-X Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:53 pm
same happened to me today..
Edwardo's fix worked perfectly, although I should note that I did NOT use the original Akai CF card. Just a random 64mb card I had my mpc2500 OS files backed up on ironically. I removed everything from the card but the 2500.bin (1.23), and directly from the ERROR MSG SCREEN, I popped the card in, and the mpc recognized the .Bin file immediatly and gave me the F6 option to do it..
And it worked!

Just wanted to update the thread with my exp, as it will hopefully help someone else in the future.
By RedRifle Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:28 am
Hey guys,
So I'm going through the same thing here but it hasn't worked yet. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any suggestions on common errors with this. I found a 64mb CF card that I'm emptying out at the moment so I can install the OS. Do y'all recommend I strictly use the 2500.bin (1.23)? Please help haha
By Wxcvbn Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:25 pm
Hey,

First post here to share my experience if that can help anyone.
I accidentally installed a jjos mpc1000 bin on a mpc 2500 and got an "OS error" message.
I unsuccessfully tried to reinstall the original akai OS from a 2 GB Compact Flash card, then from a 1 GB CF card by holding the window button while booting up. All i got was a "wrong card" message.
I managed to get the mpc back to its original working state by putting the bin file on a 128 MB CF card.
So I'm guessing only CF cards equal or under 128 MB can be used to restore the original akai OS when nothing else can be done.
By okto Mon May 10, 2021 12:13 am
Necroposting for future Googlers to confirm that a small-capacity CF card seems to be necessary for firmware upgrade. 128MB seems likely, as a 512MB card didn't work, but a 16MB (!!!) card worked fine.

I guess there was a reason to keep microscopic memory cards after all!