Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By jazzroom Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:40 pm
richie wrote:
jazzroom wrote:could you recover your files ?
what recovery tools are useful to try on Mac or PC ?

peace
Jazzroom

FAT/FAT32 recovery utils will be the first thing I would suggest trying as that fits the format on the 1000/2500

It should work fine provided that the card itself doesn't have any hardware damage.

Thanks for reply Richie - i,ve tried some Data recovery progs on PC
could recover only old files from past years accept the 2024 beats that i was working on before the error happened - they were at the end of the CF card i guess..bad sectors and probably or to old CF card. l
hard esson learned - need to back up all my cards more often.
Peace
Jazz
By richie Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 am
jazzroom wrote:Thanks for reply Richie - i,ve tried some Data recovery progs on PC
could recover only old files from past years accept the 2024 beats that i was working on before the error happened - they were at the end of the CF card i guess..bad sectors and probably or to old CF card. l
Peace
Jazz

No worries Jazzroom. What tools did you run? The one that I've found the most success with are:

Active@ Partition Recovery
GetDataBack For FAT

Each version I have installed, although quite old as they are on my windows XP machine have their own strengths. I've spent quite a long time using them, doing massive recoveries for even drives with bad sectors, so it read everything it could.

These utils have modes where they can do a more intensive surface raw dump, and then attempt to restore any file allocation table it could find. So in some instances, say the table was partially corrupted, it would show files but the names would be scrambled but the data itself was fine. In other cases, it would show an old table with a bunch of data chunks that it would recognize as having a .wav header, .jpg header, etc and allowed me to get something out of it.

While I realize this information may not be totally helpful in recovering your data, I'm just trying to share what experience I do have.

I suggest creating a raw image of the CF card. You can actually then mount the .img file and attempt to recover files that way as well.

https://www.ourpcb.com/create-image-fro ... %20process.

This would image the whole card including any potential bad sectors as well.

Let me know what you find.
By jazzroom Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:12 am
richie wrote:
jazzroom wrote:Thanks for reply Richie - i,ve tried some Data recovery progs on PC
Peace
Jazz

No worries Jazzroom. What tools did you run? The one that I've found the most success with are:

Active@ Partition Recovery
GetDataBack For FAT

Each version I have installed, although quite old as they are on my windows XP machine have their own strengths. I've spent quite a long time using them, doing massive recoveries for even drives with bad sectors, so it read everything it could.

These utils have modes where they can do a more intensive surface raw dump, and then attempt to restore any file allocation table it could find. So in some instances, say the table was partially corrupted, it would show files but the names would be scrambled but the data itself was fine. In other cases, it would show an old table with a bunch of data chunks that it would recognize as having a .wav header, .jpg header, etc and allowed me to get something out of it.

While I realize this information may not be totally helpful in recovering your data, I'm just trying to share what experience I do have.

I suggest creating a raw image of the CF card. You can actually then mount the .img file and attempt to recover files that way as well.

https://www.ourpcb.com/create-image-fro ... %20process.

This would image the whole card including any potential bad sectors as well.

Let me know what you find.

thanks for tips!
i did manage to create a Raw Data image file of CF card on PC with DiskDrill app and recover some data but almost useless
as most files are like file000001 names, some kept their names , etc.
bunch of samples but no Folder with beats and sequences to put the last beats together.
well - ive learned my lesson - Backup more often.
thanks for your input again,
Peace
Jazz
By richie Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:43 am
jazzroom wrote:thanks for tips!
i did manage to create a Raw Data image file of CF card on PC with DiskDrill app and recover some data but almost useless
bunch of samples but no Folder with beats and sequences to put the last beats together.
Peace
Jazz

Thats terrible news man.

When you see a file recovery software output something like file000001 - what it is telling you is that 'yes i see this is a chunk of data that fits our detection however the file allocation table is not correctly reading, so we don't know what the name of this file is.

What operating system do you run? If you have access to a linux vm, another good utility I've had success with is called testdisk/photorec. I wonder if you sent me the .img that you created, if I could attempt to run the recovery on my end.
By jazzroom Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:30 am
richie wrote:
jazzroom wrote:thanks for tips!
Peace
Jazz

Thats terrible news man.

When you see a file recovery software output something like file000001 - what it is telling you is that 'yes i see this is a chunk of data that fits our detection however the file allocation table is not correctly reading, so we don't know what the name of this file is.

What operating system do you run? If you have access to a linux vm, another good utility I've had success with is called testdisk/photorec. I wonder if you sent me the .img that you created, if I could attempt to run the recovery on my end.

Thanks for reply and tips Richie.
i work mostly on Mac OSX , but do have a Windows 10 PC aswell just for few apps and just in case. I also have a raspberry pie with Linux on it or a flash drive with Linux that can run on any computer straight from USB flash drive..so i might attempt to try the Linux program u mentioned above.
However that MPC Compact Flash card crashed during saving of the Project file the card was almost full .. i had to turn MPC off .. after restart the CF card became unreadable , so Data Recovery apps all got stuck at about 65% and the CF card became unresponsive... even when sawing RAW data Image it misses the last Project Beat that crashed the MPC , the rest of the data ive backed up earlier this year so its OK.
my guess that that last file is unrecoverable..and that Beat maybe lost