Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By KroMPC Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:59 am
Hi you guys,

Free JJOS/MPC 1000 here.

Same old same old problem, really want to sort this for once and for all..

Problem: Samples get cut off while playing sequences.

Set up: All 64 pads are in use. Some of them got drumsounds (kiks snares hats etc) but most got vocal lines and percussive loops of which the majority are 'unique' samples and some of them are chopped/sliced and spread over various pads.
I make the song in various sexuences using all samples.

-Usually the problem is fixed by changing the individual samples from poly to mono, but with a complex sample setup like this the problem remains.
-If i adjust the program itself from poly to mono my complete sequence setup is ruined and still some samples are being cut off.
-Using mute group with some or all of the samples gets me the same result as making the program poly/mono so does not work.
-Selecting some or all the samples in mute target also does not do the job.
-To be on the safe side i reinstalled the Free JJOS but that also did not change any of the sample cut off.

This problem only accures while playing sequence(s), never when hitting an individual pad without a sequence running.

Is the machine maxed out? (i got just this one 45mb program running, besides that the machine is empty)
A way to fix this (as i did in the past) will be to transfer all vocal wavs to a seperate new program to clean and lighten up the full program. This way i got all music wavs in 1 program and all vocal wavs in another.
This completely sucks if you want to arrange a whole song in the MPC and i will be forced to use a DAW (no problem but hey, i want rather to let the MPC do the job as i know it can, i love the MPC 1000 workflow).

Love to hear any other options to sort this.
Thanks upfront.
All Good!
By MPC-Tutor Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:20 am
The MPC1000 has a finite polyphony, there's only 32 voices allowed to play at any point in time. Try converting some samples to mono, as a stereo sample has two voices while mono is 1 voice.

If your sequence has multiple events triggered at the exact same sequencer time (e.g. 01.01.00), try shifting a few of these events one tick along, i.e. 01.01.01. That's often fixed things for me when dealing with more complex sequences that would refuse to play certain notes.
By Authuser Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:15 pm
I encountered this. You can hit mode+midi or 'other' & it displays the number of voices being used. As it approaches say 27+ it will cut tails at the end of bars. I does work if you reduce your active voices by resampling the main-outs

Maybe its a good idea to have in mind making a resample program for later on in a beat. So obv if your hats / snr /kicks are taking up say 8 voices, you could resample the beat & free up the remaining voices.

You can always keep the programs & sequences used to create the beat if you need to break it down later or something.
By KroMPC Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:01 am
Thanks for yr input :)
Good option!

Still i can't get my head around it that there's only 32 voices allowed to play at any point in time.
By hanna_vaute Mon Jul 19, 2021 2:54 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:The MPC1000 has a finite polyphony, there's only 32 voices allowed to play at any point in time. Try converting some samples to mono, as a stereo sample has two voices while mono is 1 voice.

If your sequence has multiple events triggered at the exact same sequencer time (e.g. 01.01.00), try shifting a few of these events one tick along, i.e. 01.01.01. That's often fixed things for me when dealing with more complex sequences that would refuse to play certain notes.

Thank God old posts don't get deleted. This was actually very helpful! One sample kept getting cut off even after definitely making sure that all the poly/mono/mute group settings were right. Turning one sample from stereo to mono already solved the problem. So it seems like I was just 1 voice over the limit :)
Gonna be more mindful about if it's really necessary when a sample is stereo in the future :)
By jaasi Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:13 pm
I also had issues with this in the past. Changing the program mode from POLY to MONO beforehand and recording everything (i.e., kick, snare, hats, samples etc.) into separate tracks can help. One more thing you can do is to check how long your samples are and whether there is a long silence at the end. Then cutting the silent end as far as possible may also help sove the problem.