Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By Keitto Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:45 pm
Hello.

I'm running an MPC-1000 JJOS2XL v3.56 with 128MB (256MB RAM Module, "Memmory Ho" is the brand :lol: )

I turn on the MPC, go to load options and it shows Wave Free = 115.5MB. I load a bunch of samples and when the Wave Free gets around 60MB all the samples I load from that exact moment show the question mark at the begining (?Sample01), indicating that the sample do not load correctly. It's always happen when the Wave Free gets around 60MB. It's that normal?

All the samples are tested and works fine, I run the RAM test and all 4 test passed. I think it's a RAM issue even if the test shows ok, maybe it's not mapping the memory correctly or module it's a bit shitty... How about to try another Ram Module?

Any sugestions?

Thanks in advance.
By Sharris Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:33 pm
Have you tried different memory cards?

It sounds like you have already done some trouble shooting....... I had a similar thing happen to me, but it was when I first got the MPC & was still getting down saving my samples. I would load programs or projects & a lot of the samples would be missing (& it would load the same as yours with "?name of sample").

How are you loading the samples into the RAM? For example, are you loading 1 sample at a time, loading a program filled with samples or loading a project?

Are you sure it's a RAM issue?
By Keitto Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:00 am
Hello.

I tried with different memmory cards (Compact Flash) but same problem and yes, I was loading pgm's all the time. I've been playing around with it and I did something different with different results:

* Turn on MPC and load pgm's until the problem appears. Note that all pgm's I load (16 pgm's) it's full of samples in A,B,C,D banks; so yes, it's a lot of samples.
* Delete last loaded pgm (In program mode), which comes with some bad loaded samples (?Sample29 and such)
* Start to load samples instead of pgm's and it loads correctly. 30MB of Wave Free left.
* Load the last pgm and not working, samples loaded with the question mark.
* I realized that MPC it's taking some time changing from "Load mode" to "Program mode", it freezes around 2-3 seconds. I think this is because all the samples loaded / memmory it's almost full / machine it's processing programs and samples.

I also tried:
* Turn on MPC and load samples instead of pgm's until RAM it's almost full (30MB Wav Free)
* Load pgm's until RAM it's full and it loads all fine.
* Realized that changing form" Load mode" to "Program mode" it's almost instant.

So my conclussion is that I can fill the whole RAM but not with just pgm's, maybe it's a MPC limitation? or maybe pgm's are more heavy for MPC to process? JJOS2Xl bug?

I check the MPC manual and the installed RAM module it's not on the QVL (Qualified Vendor List) so this is why I'm suspecting of it. I found a RAM module for 10$ and it's on the QVL, so for that price maybe it's worth to give it a try.

I suggest to you guys to try to fill out the RAM with just pgm's and check if the issue appears and/or if you note the MPC is running kind of slow when changing modes (From Load Mode to Program Mode, then to Record Mode...etc). This will clear out some doubts I have.

By pedro666 Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:06 pm
im a newby but i have read that some memory modules (depending on size and type etc) only utilise 1 bus?,so from 256mb it will only be 64mb.

Again,im a newby but have been reading alot,this could be your issue,jus trying to help.
By Keitto Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:37 pm
Hello Pedro!

Your reply is very appreciated, I'm also a newby with the MPC to be honest but I understand well how computers and electronics components work, and its diagnostics. In the end the MPC-1000 is a computer.

I think I'm going to buy that 10$ RAM module which is in the QVL and clear out some doubts.Probably in two weeks I'll update the post and tell you guys the results. Meanwhile other suggestions, ideas or tests will be appreciated.

Thank you.
By Sharris Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:51 pm
What Pedro says is a good point too, I forgot about that. In order to get the full 128mb, I had to buy a 256mb RAM.

Not saying this is your issue........ this wouldn't cause samples to go missing, but it could cause them not to load if you don't have enough RAM (you mentioned the issue only occurs when you have 60mb free).

Either way, thought I would throw that out there just in case you didn't know, hopefully the RAM you bought is 256mb (if you want the full 128mb).

Edit - Nevermind, I see by your reply to Pedro that you already know this. Will keep it here in case anyone else reading this doesn't know :mrgreen:
By Keitto Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:23 pm
Hi again guys.

Last week I received the new RAM module, installed it and the issue persist, so I can tell for sure is not a RAM problem. I did some tests and I realized it happens with just some PGM’s, so I reprogramed them with MPCMaid, tested again but didn’t solve it.

So, I started looking to those PGM’s and found out that it composed by small size samples (~ 50KB) while other pgm’s are composed by more bigger samples (200KB~500KB or even more, like 5MB).
Some calculations I made: the problematic pgm’s are full of samples on 4 banks (A, B, C, D), so:
• 4 banks * 16 pad’s each bank = 64pads
• 64 pads * ~50KB each sample = 3200KB total memory for that 64 samples.
• If I load 17 similar pgm’s would be something like: 3200KB * 17 = 54400KB
• And 64 pads * 17 pgm’s = 1088 samples.

My deduction is, don’t know if I’m correct, that some free memory left in MPC but is managing a lot of samples; I also feel the MPC a bit slow when I change from Load Mode to Program Mode. I’m thinking about maybe there is a limit of number of samples the MPC can manage even if it still have some free memory left. Loading other pgm’s the RAM fill completely with ~10 pgm’s and the MPC change form Load Mode to Program Mode almost instantly: 10pgm’s * 64 = 640 samples for the MPC to manage (bit more than the half of the previous test)

I think there is a limitation on the number of samples MPC can manage and maybe the machine has a relation between RAM size and number of samples, figuring that with 128MB you can manage a limit number of samples (let’s say 1000 samples, for example), if you override that limit the MPC turns slow and samples will not load correctly even if free memory left.

One of the “problematic” kit it’s the Beat Maker Tool Kit and maybe does not have much sense to load it all and manage 64 kicks samples, 128 hithat samples, other 128 snares samples … and so on. I loaded the whole kit just for testing and I think the way to work is selecting samples one by one and create your own pgm’s with the samples you like, the essentials. Anyway, I feel the MPC is working well after some deep testing: I can fill the whole RAM and even with the “limitation” I can manage a lot of samples, so I’m happy about that. What I have left for now on is to work with MPC and make beats like a beast.

I copy the link of the Beat Maker Tool Kit, if you have it you can test it (try to load all the pgm’s of the kit), just to confirm the issue and take a looong breath :D

https://www.mpcstuff.com/the-beatmaker- ... ample-kit/

Thank you