Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By th@ n!?htcrawler Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:48 pm
Has anyone successfully installed a SATA HDD in the hard drive slot of their 1000 or 2500? I know the slot is an IDE and have read of someone putting a SATA SSD in the CD bay but I"d like to install a new SATA HDD in the HD slot (fan) as I've read they're better for long-term storage than flash media. From what I've read HDDS are good for at least 3-5 years of continous use, while data stored on SSDs must be re-written or replaced after less than 3 years. I'm in the proccess of a storage update for my 2500. Had a HDD crash and burn in my PC recently, lost a few DAW multi-track sessions but, it could've been worse. I decided it was time for new budget build PC ,did some research on HDDs and realized its a miracle my MPC HDD is still running. Which is a scary thought, considering it was the only location of all MPC files, some dating back to the 2000xl I started on, sample libraries, songs for mix CDs, etc. So yeah, if you have an old HDD, make back-ups, USB 1.0 is slow but, it works. My idea is to install 128gb in the flash drive and 128gb in the HDD slot, with identical contents, creating an up to date back-up simply by saving to each drive. I've already installed a 128gb microSD in the CF slot and it seems to be working well, so far. For anyone interested in the upgrade, I used an Extreme CF Adapter Type I and a Samsung micro SDXC UHS-I Card EVO Plus 128 gb, with included SD adapter. Format in the MPC, insert card in PC, drag and drop your files, faster than USB 1.0 Videos on JJOS youtube channel. I've got a 128gb CF card I'm going to try in the HD slot (waiting for adapter). Unless I hear of someone using a SATA HDD?
By richie Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:45 pm
I feel like I died trying to read that.
By Lampdog Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:52 pm
th@ n!?htcrawler wrote:From what I've read HDDS are good for at least 3-5 years of continous use, while data stored on SSDs must be re-written or replaced after less than 3 years.

That's the specs for a computer in normal with a HDD. Your MPC will not access the HDD as many times as a computer does so it should last a lot longer (in theory).
By th@ n!?htcrawler Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:29 am
Lampdog wrote:
th@ n!?htcrawler wrote:From what I've read HDDS are good for at least 3-5 years of continous use, while data stored on SSDs must be re-written or replaced after less than 3 years.

That's the specs for a computer in normal with a HDD. Your MPC will not access the HDD as many times as a computer does so it should last a lot longer (in theory).
...yeah, I've had HDDs last 10-15 years but, after 5+ years the chances of failure start to increase, so you never know
By richie Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:00 pm
th@ n!?htcrawler wrote: ...yeah, I've had HDDs last 10-15 years but, after 5+ years the chances of failure start to increase, so you never know

The read/write cycles that an MPC 1000 / 2500 performs vs a daily use computer is not comparable. If you were running a hardware in a data center, then what you read would theoretically be true but not in the case of using a sampler.
By th@ n!?htcrawler Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:11 am
I am aware of the difference between commercial HDD use studies and the use of a HDD in a sampler but, I did not post to debate the life expectancy of HDDs. My point is that, from personal experience, I've never had a HDD last more than about 15 years AND, that time will take a toll on any mechanical device with moving parts, regardless of use or lack thereof. My MPC HDD is at least ten years old, so if its ok with everyone, I'm going to continue to keep an up-to-date backup of all my files on a microSD card. Better safe than sorry and, ALL HDDs WILL DIE at some point, be it 5 or 25 years. All I wanted to know is, has anyone installed a SATA HHD in their 1000 or 2500? And if so, what adapter was used? Thanks to everyone for the feedback.