Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By NED Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:21 pm
is there a way to have pgm playmode 'mono' affecting all tracks?

on the 2000 xl i was used to the playmode of a pgm being 'global', where every pad of a mono pgm was muting every other pad of the same pgm on all tracks that used this pgm.
Super useful feature.

i now run jjos2xl 3.54 on the 1k and as far as i can tell, the mono mode does only work per track.
when the playmode of a pgm is set to mono and used in one track, then if the same pgm is used in another track it does not mute any of the pads in the first track.

jj says: 'Since OS2XL works by track, other tracks are not influenced even if it is using the same program.'

this makes me wonder... is there a work-around to do this?
would be a shame if this is not possible, i can hardly believe there is no way to do it, since jjos is so feature-heavy and well thought-through, but atm i can't think of a simple one…

any suggestions would be much appreciated!
By saltmcgault Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:01 pm
NED wrote:is there a way to have pgm playmode 'mono' affecting all tracks?

on the 2000 xl i was used to the playmode of a pgm being 'global', where every pad of a mono pgm was muting every other pad of the same pgm on all tracks that used this pgm.
Super useful feature.

i now run jjos2xl 3.54 on the 1k and as far as i can tell, the mono mode does only work per track.
when the playmode of a pgm is set to mono and used in one track, then if the same pgm is used in another track it does not mute any of the pads in the first track.

jj says: 'Since OS2XL works by track, other tracks are not influenced even if it is using the same program.'

this makes me wonder... is there a work-around to do this?
would be a shame if this is not possible, i can hardly believe there is no way to do it, since jjos is so feature-heavy and well thought-through, but atm i can't think of a simple one…

any suggestions would be much appreciated!

I know if you chop a sample and select "create" new program for those chops. It does exactly what you are after. Maybe chop a sample and create a program with it. Then change the samples within the program to the ones you want.
By NED Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:23 pm
not sure if i understand what you mean...
chopping a sample and then using the 'new pgm' command does not change anything regarding the behaviour i described above. the samples in the pgm still only mute each other when in the same track, not globally.
By saltmcgault Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:27 am
NED wrote:not sure if i understand what you mean...
chopping a sample and then using the 'new pgm' command does not change anything regarding the behaviour i described above. the samples in the pgm still only mute each other when in the same track, not globally.

i run into this all the time. sometimes it’s what i’m looking for other times it’s not. Sometimes i have to copy the sample and chop it again and create the chopped program. so it doesn’t mute other pads within the program. it’s not just limited to 1 track its with any track that program is assigned to. Maybe the 128XL OS is different.
By NED Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:01 am
yeah, maybe its different in 128xl?

again, I‘d like to be able to record a track with pads of a mono-pgm muting each other, then record a variation on a seperate track etc then build the arrangement via track muting.
Problem is, pads of the 2nd track no longer mute pads in the 1st, and even when i switch from one track to the other via trackmutes, long samples play til their endpoint since they are not muted...
also mutegroups only work per track - i don‘t understand the logic of this...?
In my mind, the point of a mono-playmode and mutegroups is to work globally, don‘t see the benefit of the per-track-restriction.
Would like to be proven wrong though!
;)
By jerichoc239 Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:36 am
NED wrote:yeah, maybe its different in 128xl?

again, I‘d like to be able to record a track with pads of a mono-pgm muting each other, then record a variation on a seperate track etc then build the arrangement via track muting.
Problem is, pads of the 2nd track no longer mute pads in the 1st, and even when i switch from one track to the other via trackmutes, long samples play til their endpoint since they are not muted...
also mutegroups only work per track - i don‘t understand the logic of this...?
In my mind, the point of a mono-playmode and mutegroups is to work globally, don‘t see the benefit of the per-track-restriction.
Would like to be proven wrong though!
;)

That's exactly my problem, have you found any solution by chance? Would love an update :worthy:

Made an account just for this, long time lurker.
By Ford Pantherbach Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:05 am
Hey! I know exactly what you mean. I have a song that I used to be able to get to work like you described and now in 2XL I lost that functionality. It was working when I used an older free OS, I think I had 3.16 before upgrading. Just to be clear, you mean like, going into track mute and letting the program cut itself off between the two tracks, like basically making them duel for which one was making sound at that moment. I would love to know if you figured out a way to make this work in 2XL though...please share haha.

I think
By NED Tue May 05, 2020 4:46 pm
Hey there,
unfortunately i have no news and suspect that this is just one of the jj-quirks which we have to accept.
Really a shame - mono-mode & mute-groups only working on a per-track-basis reduces the functionality of the feature quite drastically