Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By Bino5150 Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:25 pm
Question for the hive mind. Ok, so I started this beat a few minutes ago from scratch. On this program, I have my drums loaded on Bank A, and the samples of the loops I played and recorded from my keyboard on Bank B.

So the 2 samples were 8 bar loops I played on the keyboard. Track 1 and track 2 are those. Track 3 is the snare, track 4 the hi hats, and track 5 is the kick drum.

When I laid down the kick drum (Pad 13, bank A), it muted the samples (after one beat) that’s playing from Pads 13 & 14 from Bank B.

Everything is recorded on its own individual track. If I mute the kick (track 5), the samples play. But if I unmute it, it cuts out again.

I’ve created another program and moved the samples there, didn’t work. I moved the samples to different pads, still didn’t work. I muted the first 2 tracks with the samples and let the drums play, and when I triggered the sample manually by hitting the pad, it muted it after one beat.

It’s not a polyphony issue or a ram space issue, as it’s literally just 2 samples, a kick, a snare, and a hi hat at this point. (Maxed ram is ~11 minutes of stereo sample memory, or ~22 minutes of mono sample memory)

There’s no mute groups assigned, everything is on poly/one shot. Any ideas? It’s really messing up my Feng Shui.

Someone mentioned to me about a glitch in the MPC’s, not just the 1k but the 2k and the 500 as well, with cutting playback of longer samples once you start putting drums on them, but that’s the first I’d ever heard about it.

MPC 1000, maxed internal memory, JJOS 3.16
By Lampdog Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:37 am
Sounds like a polyphony issue.

8bar loops are big.

Make a copy of one of the 8 bar chops.
Work with the copy, chop it into 8 one bar pieces.
Sequence those after the other and it will end up sounding like
your 8 bar loop.

Also how much ram do you have?
By Bino5150 Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:42 am
128mb ram, maxed out. ~11 minutes of stereo sample memory, ~22 minutes of mono sample memory.

I don't see how polyphony could be an issue, I've made much more complex beats that this. This beat isn't even "made" yet; it's leterally just 2 loops, a kick, a snare, and a hi hat. There's no way possible that this is taking up 32 voices.

I've been reading up and coming to the conclusion that MPC's in general just don't do well with long samples in play, so I may just chop the loops up. I don't see how that would make any difference, as it will still be the exact same amount of material, same mb of memory used, only now the chops would make more individual wave files in memory and in the sequence. Makes no sense.

I just can't wrap my head around an MPC with 128mb/22 minutes of sample memory, and "8 bar loops are too big", especially when the sample is only triggered once during those 8 bars.
By NearTao Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:51 am
Sounds like polyphony to me as well. A poorly chopped kick, snare, or hat could be a lot of silence at the tail, and if it is stereo it will consume double polyphony. I would check that your samples are not longer than necessary, or convert them to note on instead of one shot...

Good luck!
By Bino5150 Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:11 am
Update: I started the beat over from scratch yesterday, same samples. It worked fine. Not only did it work, but there's quite a bit more samples playing now in the finished version. I guess maybe it was just a temporary glitch that has passed or something. Thanks for the attempt guys!