Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By Senju47 Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:25 am
Just have a few questions about the 2500 (JJOSXL) that I haven't been able to figure out/fully understand yet.

1-Understanding programs, tracks and sequences
I originally thought that a program was simply a project (beat, song) that contained all of your samples, tracks and sequences within it. Now I'm pretty sure thats not the case and would really appreciate some of you veterans clearing up what Programs, tracks and sequences are for me and the relationship between them.

2-Mono and Poly
I understand what mono and poly means but I'm not sure how to go about recording drums in poly and then recording my musical chops in Mono? this question ties in with the first question I guess.

3-Work flow
Now I know that this is something I should figure out myself and I will but I would just like to know other peoples general workflow when making beats?

Extra info
I know how to use the 2500 in terms of navigation, recording sequences and chopping (basics) I am just confused on the relationships between Tracks, sequences and programs.

Sorry about the noob questions! would hugely appreciate the help!
-Senju
By MPC-Tutor Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:20 am
Senju47 wrote:1-Understanding programs, tracks and sequences
I originally thought that a program was simply a project (beat, song) that contained all of your samples, tracks and sequences within it. Now I'm pretty sure thats not the case and would really appreciate some of you veterans clearing up what Programs, tracks and sequences are for me and the relationship between them.

A PROJECT is the 'beat' and contains all the resources for that beat. It consists of 1 or more SEQUENCES. Each sequence can contain multiple TRACKS of MIDI data. Each track is assigned a MIDI sound source called a PROGRAM. A PROGRAM can be a bunch of samples (e.g. drum kit, multisampled instrument etc) or refer to an external MIDI source source such as a hardware synth, sound module etc. You can chain together all your sequences into a SONG.

2-Mono and Poly
I understand what mono and poly means but I'm not sure how to go about recording drums in poly and then recording my musical chops in Mono? this question ties in with the first question I guess.

POLY means Polyphonic, the ability of the MPC to play back multiple sounds simultaneously.
MONO means 'monophonic' and is when you restrict a program (or pad) to only be able to play back one sound simultaneously. Often used for synth bass, chopped drums etc.

The other 'mono' term refers to the number of channels a sample or audio track has. Stereo = 2 channels (i.e. can contain panning etc), mono is a single audio channel.

3-Work flow
Now I know that this is something I should figure out myself and I will but I would just like to know other peoples general workflow when making beats?

Check out my MPC courses, I have one entirely dedicated to JJOSXL one for the MPC2500 running free JJOS

https://www.mpc-samples.com/section.php ... s-courses/
By wilrus Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:11 pm
I can vouch for the sampling bible, really did teach me quite a few tricks, shortcuts and helped me figure out more of a workflow.

Atm my workflow is chopping a main break into a program, messing about with the sound of it by changing filters, pitch etc and making a beat. I keep tracks 1-8 to drum tracks. Then tracks 9-12 for guitar audio tracks. Then 13-16 for Midi tracks which play my 2 synths.

After layering up like this to make a nice 8 bar loop, I will go to the track mute screen and mute/umute stuff to make it less messy and find stuff that works nicely together. Sometimes I will go to Bank B on the track mute screen which takes me to tracks 16-32 where I use the same layout as before. 16-24 as drums, 25-28 as guitars, 29-32 as synths. Maybe add a few more into this template.

Now what you could do is copy this big sequence of tracks and delete some of them from each sequence to find a few of the combos you came up with and find a way to piece them together.

I recommend following the sampling bible at least. I wish I did it sooner!
And btw i'm still figuring all this out myself, I kinda took the basis of this workflow from here: https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/c ... _mpc_1000/

It takes a lil while getting used to the MPC but it's a fun process and it's gets smoother with practice! Also don't forget, you are not just learning the MPC, you are learning music production as well as learning to learn! Everything get's quicker the more u get into it!!!
By DEZn00ts Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:05 pm
Senju47 wrote:Just have a few questions about the 2500 (JJOSXL) that I haven't been able to figure out/fully understand yet.

1-Understanding programs, tracks and sequences

2-Mono and Poly

3-Work flow

Extra info
I know how to use the 2500 in terms of navigation, recording sequences and chopping (basics) I am just confused on the relationships between Tracks, sequences and programs.

Sorry about the noob questions! would hugely appreciate the help!
-Senju

I'm "as new" as you. Just got over the small hurdles you speak of. I suggest messing around with the MPC and sounds. Switching between tracks and programs after adding sounds will teach you "how they work". Fiddle with the MPC, it will teach you a lot of the things you are worried about.
By Lampdog Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:45 pm
bees80 wrote:The good old manual also doesn't seem like a bad idea...

NearTao wrote:Tons of youtube videos cover these topics as well. If you put the time in it will all make sense :)