Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By Senju47 Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:39 am
Hey there again team, another little problem i'm having is when I import a sample that I have already warped in Ableton, it changes the BPM and is no longer in the BPM i set it to in Ableton.

why does this happen?

I was also wondering why when I go to audition a sample in LOAD it auditions them in around -12 ST

Really appreciate the help, shout out the community one time
-Senju
By Senju47 Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:31 am
NearTao wrote:Ableton does a non-destructive warp, you'll want to re-record your audio to keep it warped, either through a new track, track freeze, or similar.

Thanks for the reply thats good to know, unfortunately it didn't fix my problem...
any other suggestions would be much appreciated as I cant really use my MPC without figuring this out.
By bees80 Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:01 am
Maybe you can be a bit more clear about what you are after with this? You want to import a warped sample from ableton to your MPC? And what is exactly your purpose with this? Having a sample keeping the BPM when you adjust it?

In that case, I would suggest to record or import the sample in your MPC (unwarped) and make use of a patched phrase. Sounds probably better too.
By bees80 Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:10 pm
I'm still not sure what your after and what do you mean with MPC being limited in sense of changing the BPM of a sample, but it reads to me like you don't fully understand the MPC possibilities. It has timestretch and patched phrase and pitch shift. You could even chop a sample and tune it up/down to match your desired BPM.
By NearTao Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:07 pm
My suggestion for you to try...
* Hook the output of Ableton to your MPC
* Set the BPM on your MPC and Ableton Live to match
* Warp your loop on Ableton to taste
* Arm recording on the MPC and play the Ableton Warped loop out a phrase or two
* Keep the recording and go to trim mode
* In trim mode turn on looping
* Set the start/end points on your newly recorded loop on the MPC so that it loops properly
* Turn off loop mode before you begin chopping
* Chop/Slice the sample in the MPC to your drum pads

This is probably the easiest way for me to explain one of many workflows for what I think you want to do. See if this does what you want and then bounce some more issues/ideas in here and we can see what we can do to either refine the workflow for you, or get you a different approach.
By NearTao Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:20 pm
bees80 wrote:Seems like the best option to do what Neartao wrote (good post!), though it seems very circuitous to me.

But, there are more ways to Rome.. You'll find out once you get the hang of the MPC, trust.

Yeah, probably not the route I would take either... but I figured it'd at least be a starting point so that we can figure out OP's expectations afterwards. I suspect that there is a fundamental misunderstanding between what Ableton is doing warping content in realtime and how samples are managed in general. This is a pretty straightforward process at least... and I figure we can help with questions if/as they come up.
By Senju47 Thu Dec 05, 2019 11:49 pm
Just want to say thanks heaps to everybody that replied with some help. I figured out why it was changing the bpm when I imported it, it was because I wasn't exporting the sample at a sample rate of 44100.... took me a minute to figure that out through hours of digging ahah.
By NearTao Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:16 pm
bees80 wrote:I've never heard that using a different sampling rate when exporting a sample changes the BPM, but happy you got what you were after :)

Doh, yeah it depends on how the sampler interprets it... but figure this... the sample rate is a factor of time, so if you sample at 48khz, then play the same file at 44.1khz you've change both the speed and pitch that the audio is played back at.

Ever seen the video when Van Halen went back on tour and it sounded awful? Van Halen was playing the guitar in real time trying to match the sound coming out of the synth because it was so dissonant. They found out later that the synth had loaded samples from an incorrect frequency format so it pitch shifted everything making it sound off... found an article about it https://ew.com/article/2007/10/29/van-halens-jump/. The video was fascinating to watch too, but not going to bother digging for it.

Edit: the post suggests a few different possibilities... and it might've been a guitar tuned to the wrong key... fascinating regardless.

Edit 2: Boy my memory of this is off a bit... at any rate... here's one video highlighting the show was off [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCIyeXn1sKQ[/youtube]
By bees80 Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:56 pm
NearTao wrote:
bees80 wrote:I've never heard that using a different sampling rate when exporting a sample changes the BPM, but happy you got what you were after :)

Doh, yeah it depends on how the sampler interprets it... but figure this... the sample rate is a factor of time, so if you sample at 48khz, then play the same file at 44.1khz you've change both the speed and pitch that the audio is played back at.

Ever seen the video when Van Halen went back on tour and it sounded awful? Van Halen was playing the guitar in real time trying to match the sound coming out of the synth because it was so dissonant. They found out later that the synth had loaded samples from an incorrect frequency format so it pitch shifted everything making it sound off... found an article about it https://ew.com/article/2007/10/29/van-halens-jump/. The video was fascinating to watch too, but not going to bother digging for it.

Edit: the post suggests a few different possibilities... and it might've been a guitar tuned to the wrong key... fascinating regardless.

Edit 2: Boy my memory of this is off a bit... at any rate... here's one video highlighting the show was off [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCIyeXn1sKQ[/youtube]

Never knew this! But I also don't wanna try since i rather spent it it doing it right haha. But thanks for the info :)