Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By bca Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:57 pm
About a year ago, the 16 GB CF memory card that came with my 2nd hand MPC1000 suddenly became corrupted, causing the loss of 1/4 of the data on the card. Ever since then I've been using the hard drive. I'd like to use a card again--mainly for speed, but seeing as I've been burned once I want to make sure it's not going to be another ticking time bomb.

I've come across reports on the 'net about some people's experience with card corruption, and I'm wondering if there exists a brand/model/size that is known to be robust and not prone to corruption (at least on par with an MPC hard drive, if not exceeding it).

Thanks
By NearTao Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:46 pm
Did you ever try recovering the CF card data? Windows/Mac both have repair options. It is possible it became corrupted due too an issue saving. Also check to make sure you don't have any bent pins.

The corruption issue is why some folks will backup the CF card somewhat frequently, just to make sure you've got duplicates or at least older versions of projects. It's a good habit to get into.
By bca Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:33 am
Yes, I was able to recover some of the data. It was a mess though; most freeware Windows recovery apps gave up, and the one that I ended up using had limited success.

Sure, I could make backups frequently out of fear that the card's going to corrupt itself again, but personally I would rather make music without that concern in the background. That's why I want a solution that's about as reliable as, say, an SSD drive on a computer.