Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By kedesoth Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:12 am
Hi! This is my first post. Please be kind to me :)

I'll have my first MPC1000 these days. I found one at a fair price I think (500 € mint with the new pads, 128mb and 120G HD) but it has the free JJOS 3.16. Is it right to start with the free version just to learn it and then upgrade to jjos2xl or get started with jjos2xl right away?
I read that jjos2xl is easy even for beginners. Is true? I also read that it is better to start with JJOS and then upgrade. :hmmm:
One book would be useful, but I don't like the idea of ​​ordering two ebooks. I am leaning towards the JJOS2XL and ordering the JJOSXL Sampling Bible but need some advice from some more experienced MPC users as I am completely lost and in dilemma.
By NearTao Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:10 pm
JJOS 3.16 is fine to start with. It's compatible with the 2.5k and 500, if that matters to you.

Or if you're looking for the features provided by OS2XL/OS3, then take the plunge. It adds a lot better chopping options and many other feature enhancements, but if you're just checking it out then the free version is fine to start with. The paid OSs will turn the 1k into a much more feature rich system for sure.
By kedesoth Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:40 am
Thanks NearTao :)

My doubts started when I read somewhere that JJOS2XL is easier and some functions make more sense than JJOS. This is my first MPC and I don't even know how to use it. It's also my first hardware/software sampler. I was just afraid that I would lose some of my time starting with JJOS.
By NearTao Sun Feb 09, 2020 2:20 pm
You won’t lose time... but there are differences between free JJOS and the newer versions... such that loading between older and newer versions is not 100% compatible.

If you're just learning the device this is not likely to be a problem... but if you're doing heavy production out of the box it might be a reason to stick with a specific version.
By kedesoth Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:13 am
Yes the plan is to get out of the box. I feel more comfortable with hardware and that's why I decided to buy an MPC1000.

Ok, I'll start with the free JJOS and in a month or two when I'll feel comfortable with the device I'll upgrade to JJOS2XL. I suppose it'll be easier to learn the device with the free JJOS and the original Akai manual as it's closer to Akai's OS.

BTW, Layer 115 is sick!
By NearTao Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:41 pm
kedesoth wrote:Yes the plan is to get out of the box. I feel more comfortable with hardware and that's why I decided to buy an MPC1000.

It's a great piece of hardware for staying outside of the computer. You can certainly do a lot with it, and it's not that hard to bring it back into the computer if/when you want to mix or master.

kedesoth wrote:BTW, Layer 115 is sick!

Hah thanks, that was something that I put together years ago. Wish I had the old stems to remix it. Probably time to finish up a few more tracks to get something new on there.
By kedesoth Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:23 am
ok a few days now and I can't believe what I just bought. :worthy:

I'll definitely stay out of the box for many hours from now on. And I love this green screen! And without knowing it I think I bought one of the best hardware sequencers out there to control my synths. I'm totally happy.

Some of the tact switches are annoyingly not responding but I can replace them by myself. There's also a supplier in Europe that sells a full set for cheap.

I'll stay for a few weeks with JJOS to learn all the functions and how to "make songs" and then I'll go with JJOS2XL.
By NearTao Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:04 pm
You might be able to get some more mileage out of the tact switches by spraying some Deoxit into them... not a cure all, but it might buy you some more time before having to replace them.
By kedesoth Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:38 pm
Thanks misterade! I'll check them out.

NearTao, yes I already did it and they are fine now but I'll buy the new ones for a future upgrade. I don't think I'll ever sell my MPC :-D