Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By dknblze Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:24 pm
So... As of today, I've lost about 6 songs in a row after trying to save and then load them back up. Here's how it goes. (Note: I'm using JJos2xl on an mpc1000)

1. I create a few sequences using all of the normal MPC techniques (e.g., create programs, load samples and drum kits into programs, record tracks, etc.)
2. Once the song's completed, I save it into a folder I created called "beats" by saving "entire memory-1."
3. After saving the song, I turn off the MPC.

Here's where the fun begins

When I start up the MPC again and load up the song, all I see is an empty track, and in the Program section, I see "Pgm: ?GN_FREE." I'm not sure what that means. All I know is that all of the tracks are now empty and I can no longer play the song. Any samples I created still exist, but they have to be reloaded, and any drum loops must be recreated. What stresses me out the most is that I can't tell what is causing the problem. I have an 8gb CF card, but it seems to work fine and has none of the functional issues that I experienced with a 32gb card. My assumption is that it's a bug in the JJos2xl os, but maybe I'm just doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
By Lampdog Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:27 pm
dknblze wrote:When I start up the MPC again and load up the song, all I see is an empty track, and in the Program section, I see "Pgm: ?GN_FREE."

Are you using a free version of jjos?
By dknblze Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:19 pm
I'm using the paid version of JJos2xl. It's weird because I have saved songs before, turned off the mpc, turned it on again, and then load them back up again. The songs would play as normal, but during some cycle of turning the mpc off and on again, I would lose the track. It's annoying as hell.
By dknblze Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:56 am
All of the programs load and I can use the click wheel to select the proper program. It's just that when they load, all of the tracks that I created are deleted.

As far as how long until I power off, it depends. Sometimes I'll save the program and continue working, then save again when I'm finished. Other times I'll save, confirm that the MPC has saved everything, and then shut off. Initially, I would save the program and then load another one (without shutting down), but that's when I first realized that I was losing tracks that I saved. I'ved tried out multiple tactics to see if I'm doing something wrong, but I can't think of anything. If I save a program and then load another one, the saved program gets lost. If I save a program and then shut down the MPC, the saved program gets lost. The only thing that I haven't tried is saving each program (and by program, I mean "entire memory -1") to a new folder for every song that I create. I guess I'll try that next. Just sucks to keep losing everything.
By dknblze Tue Mar 17, 2020 5:25 pm
I figured it out. Each song has to have its own folder. Putting more than one song in a folder runs the risk of an error because the drum files (e.g., kicks, snares, hats,etc.) , if not labeled differently from one another, may conflict. Anyway, thanks to everyone who tried to help out. I really appreciate it.