Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By rozzilla Wed May 06, 2020 4:20 pm
hello
so far i really my 1000, i wish i could have met it 10 years ago, this machine really assures me a decise leap on house/techno productions. I would still benefit from more experieced users some advices regarding workflow/organizations. I use jjos free since it suits me better now than jjosxl (*), and I cope the mpc with a midi expander and another sampler devoted to basic drum sounds, to split as many sounds i can on different channels in a desk

1) samples and tracks organization
since I rely on an external instrument for polyphonic lines, I barely could use more than 64 sounds/voices from mpc, and I get tempted to just use the same pgm within every track, doing so what i gonna miss ? how do you prefer to deal with pgm/track organization ?

2) longer timed events
I really like to arrange a track in song mode, while i still wonder about how to deal with a longer time event than actual seqs duration, lets say a several bars automation, without converting entire song to single sequence ?

3)fader usage
how often do you use your fader and how ? ( didnt figured anything too much usefull here yet )

(*) going back and forth between jjos free and xl I found on my perspective the first superior about UI design.
Such brilliant and fast navigating experience is what make me happier than working on a DAW, on the other side jjosxl shows a less efficient UI, and not many apparent benefits since the availability of a desk and other external intruments. For this reason I would avoid to get too many "install jjosxl" advices. thank you in advance
By NearTao Wed May 06, 2020 5:53 pm
1) This is super personal and has lots of opinions... and obviously will change based on the needs of your track... I usually stick to 16 samples myself and use banks for different song change ups...
A1 - Kick, A2 - Snare, A3 - Closed Hat, A4 - Open Hat
A5 - Alt Kick, A6 - Alt Snare/Clap, A7 - Misc Perc, A8 - Misc Perc
A9-A12 - Misc SFX/Vox
A13 - Piano, A14 - Chord, A15 - Bass Note, A16 - Alt Bass

From here I'll generally use 16 Levels to noodle around different pitches/volumes for sounds and record out sequences... but this will change a lot for me depending on if I am chopping up samples and what the samples do or do not have for content.

2) Either... git good and match your events at the seems... or convert to a single sequence as you suggested... or you know... do your automation live... I am sure there are some other ways... but you'll probably need to look around.

3) You can map q-links to a lot... especially in JJOS... just play around with it.

*) JJ OS2XL and OS3 are far superior for many reasons. Read the comparison chart: http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/chart_n.htm

Of course if you don't care about those features... *shrug* maybe JJOS Free is right for you. If you get into wanting to do more work on the MPC away from a DAW though you are eventually going to gravitate to JJOS, and then most of the .pgm files won't be compatible, and will require a lot of work potentially to recreate/fix...