Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By TonyHC Sat Aug 22, 2020 8:42 pm
Hi,
i have recently purchased an MPC 2500 with JJOSXL 3.69 installed. I am a complete noob in music production and seems that it is more easy for me to folllow instruction of the original Akai OS. How can I go back to Akai OS? Do I have to purchase a new password for JJOSXL 3.69 in case i would like to install it again after trying Akai os?
My MPC (has original Akai 128mb ram and 2gb cf card) is laggy when i navigate through menus and options, i already tried to disconnect cd rom and hdd (it is a 128gb ssd) but i got no improvements...is it normal with JJOSXL?
Thanks
By Menco Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:08 am
Hold the Tap Tempo button when switching on the MPC. You then get the option to boot up the free JJOS. It’s very, very similar to the Akai OS, but way more stable. You can find your way around the free JJOS by using the Akai manual. You won’t loose acces to JJOSXL by switching back. One you want to go back to XL version just hold the Tap Tempo again while booting.

Don’t know what would be the reason your MPC is lagging. But I’m almost a 100% sure it hasn’t have to do anything with SSD. The SSD is only active when saving and loading.
By TonyHC Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:34 am
Menco wrote:Hold the Tap Tempo button when switching on the MPC. You then get the option to boot up the free JJOS. It’s very, very similar to the Akai OS, but way more stable. You can find your way around the free JJOS by using the Akai manual. You won’t loose acces to JJOSXL by switching back. One you want to go back to XL version just hold the Tap Tempo again while booting.

Great, i will try it!
Thanks!
By TonyHC Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:38 am
Menco wrote:Don’t know what would be the reason your MPC is lagging. But I’m almost a 100% sure it hasn’t have to do anything with SSD. The SSD is only active when saving and loading.

Yes, i agree with you. I just purchased a cheap 256mb pc133 Samsung SODIMM just to have a try, it should arrive in 20 days more or less, I will post results...
By TonyHC Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:58 pm
Menco wrote:This may can make a difference. Keep me posted. (TBH, don't know what else could cause the lagging.)

I did practice few hours today and i am starting to believe that the problem is that i have some buttons that doesn't work fine. Is there any way to test switches with jjosxl 3.69?
By TonyHC Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:10 pm
Menco wrote:Hold the Tap Tempo button when switching on the MPC. You then get the option to boot up the free JJOS

If i press Tap Tempo and i turn on the MPC i get the "MPC2500 OS UPDATE" screen and an error message saying "Wrong Card". If i do the procedure without insert the CF card i get the same screen but an error message saying "Insert Memory Card"...
By Menco Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:19 am
Download the free JJOS, save it to memory card and try again.

The tactswitches either work or don’t. So when you press a button it either reacts or not, it doesn’t cause the MPC to act slower.
By TonyHC Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:39 am
Menco wrote:The tactswitches either work or don’t. So when you press a button it either reacts or not, it doesn’t cause the MPC to act slower.

Well, i thought it was a matter of lag, but after some hours of use i realize that I just have to press some buttons more times to choose options and/or navigate through menus...i have no problems if i play or slice samples for example...so maybe it's some switches that sometimes work and sometimes don't, that's why i am wondering if there is an option to test buttons in jjosxl 3.69, because seems that this options was present in older versions of the jjos. Sorry for my bad english, i am italian...
By Menco Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:12 am
I still run JJOS1, do have JJOS2 but have barely used it. I’ve never come across that button test function. Just test them manually. You will soon enough find out which buttons aren’t working properly. Spray some deoxit or contactspray into the tactswitches, press them a few times and let it rest for a few minutes. This will do the trick to extend their life. Though mind this is a temporary solution, sooner or later you want to replace those tactswitches.