Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By rikrubio Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:37 am
If I hook up a modular to the MPC 1000, do the pads represent certain notes? Is pad 1 a c note and pad 2 a c sharp? It does it when I hook up my synths but just want to understand a little better. Also, 16 levels set on tune with an 808 wav file (just for example) does it work on the same level as a scale when it tunes it.
Thanks
By Elpimpo Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:14 pm
rikrubio wrote:If I hook up a modular to the MPC 1000, do the pads represent certain notes? Is pad 1 a c note and pad 2 a c sharp? It does it when I hook up my synths but just want to understand a little better. Also, 16 levels set on tune with an 808 wav file (just for example) does it work on the same level as a scale when it tunes it.
Thanks

It depends, the 16 pads CAN play notes BUT...this is ill advised, if you want to play chords and leads, I would connect and use a keyboard via midi.

MPC can absolutely play notes , scales and chords but its just MUSICALLY easier to use a keyboard
By rikrubio Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:38 pm
100%...I love the feel of keys. I was just trying to conserve space and thought it would be cool too. Do you know note set up with the pads?
Thanks
By Menco Sun Jan 24, 2021 5:55 am
In program mode you can assign the pads to certain notes so you can play the pads in chromatic order. Save a copy of this as a template program you can load in every time you want to program your modular.

I also agree with the others that buying a midi keyboard would be the best solution. I don’t have lot of space either, but I bought myself a 25 keys midi keyboard that sits aside my desk and only set up when I need to use it.
By Sense-A Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:46 pm
It's good to know how to setup the mpc to do this.

I have lots of large 49 and 61 key keyboards.

I recently bought an Arturia Keystep 37 for portability, chords, arpeggiator, midi controls, strum features. For $169, and its compatibility with synth modules, CV and gate outputs, sync, midi DIN, etc. it was a good buy. Plays nice with an mpc. About the same width as my mpc 4000. It's 21.5" wide.

You get 4 banks of 4 midi control knobs. So you can assign up to 16 controls to the arturia keyboard to control your Q links or other features of your MPC.