Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By Nolika Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:29 pm
Hello

Just discovered how to play different notes of a sample in Inst program mode, while pressing different pads.

But when it is changing the key - the pitch - it is also changing the speed of the sample. Is there a way to preserve the same speed of a sample so the different pads would only change the notes of it?

Sorry if my question is not clear.

I'm an mpc newbie!

Oh and I'm on jjos 2 xl
By Undosequence Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:49 am
Hey, I'm not 100% sure but I'm sure what you're trying to achieve could only be done by time stretching and would be better done in software.
I'm pretty sure an inst program in jjos is simply like a normal program but chromatic.

if you're using a note that runs out of length when you're in the higher notes, you could always loop the end of the sample, it's a bit faffy but it can work.

I hope that helps.
By 6/8 Stanley Sat May 01, 2021 9:15 pm
Maybe what you want is multi sampling. That's when you sample two or three notes per octave and tune them so you have a full range. Then the length of the sample won't be changed much.

I can't explain it very well since I haven't learned it yet, but it's something I want to learn. There's some books by MPC Tutor that explain it in detail. "Beat making on the Free JJOS" pages 208-216, Also the same section is in "Beat making on the MPC 2500 - Akai OS" (probably in the MPC 1000 book too).
By MGoolas Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:55 am
As others noted you have to use pitch shifting (can be found in trim mode) to generate samples of the same length but on different semitones. Note that mpc pitch shifting is very primal and even JJOS3 advanced pitch shifting can produce some stuttering, especially if you increase the pitch semis too much.
I would suggest you to use a daw for generating the sample in different semitones.

Also if your sample is something like a string or a synth that you can loop the tail you can just use loop-points (from trim) to set a loop and produce a tail. I like doing this technique on a part of a chopped sample where there is a note or sth , with some adsr adjustment you can fill gaps pretty nicely