Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By HanHuman Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:58 pm
Hi

Been looking in details in both OS lately. OS3 is by far the OS I used the most to date, but I'm wondering if I'm missing some key features in OSXL/2XL that would explain why most people go with this one, other than being used to it ofc.

It seems OS3 caught up most of the missing parts and does pretty much all of what OSXL/2XL does and more. Just in a different maner sometimes.

Thanks
By HanHuman Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:41 am
Ok so I guess I lived under a rock all that time because OSXL has MIDI editing capabilities OS3 simply hasn't.
Plus a looping recorder that will come very handy to record live instruments.
So yea, definitely switching to OSXL.

Gonna miss play & chop, real time time stretch and all that good stuff.
By littlejackal Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:48 pm
I think it's easy for folks to just point to the feature list on the JJOS site and say "well here you go, here are the differences", but it's really hard to parse that giant list to decide which is really beneficial. The inability to easily switch between OS2XL and OS3 without flashing in between also kind of makes A/B comparisons difficult to do. As an OS2XL user I've had the same questions about OS3 but remained mostly blissfully ignorant. Also worried that I'll find some feature in OS3 that I suddenly can't live without :D
By HanHuman Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:34 pm
littlejackal wrote:I think it's easy for folks to just point to the feature list on the JJOS site and say "well here you go, here are the differences", but it's really hard to parse that giant list to decide which is really beneficial. The inability to easily switch between OS2XL and OS3 without flashing in between also kind of makes A/B comparisons difficult to do. As an OS2XL user I've had the same questions about OS3 but remained mostly blissfully ignorant. Also worried that I'll find some feature in OS3 that I suddenly can't live without :D

Yea it's not easy to compare especially when files aren't really compatible so you can't just load the same project on both OS, all kinds of weird stuff pop up.

Though I asked JJ about adding the XL midi mote edit feature to OS3, to what he replied that he submited the request to the developper, see post below.
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=172446&p=1837819#p1837819

If it ends up added to OS3 it'll be a big step forward for the OS.
We'll see :)
By MGoolas Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:32 pm
Apart from the massive elephant in the room that is midi editing, I prefer the loop edit mode much more than the pattern edit / x0x style editing in OS3.
I am also used at adjusting filters and adsrs with the qlink.
I also like adjusting parameters in the grid editor (changing the attack or filter for example) which as far as I remember it is absent from OS3
I don't think midi editing will ever come to os3. It's been many years and I think someone asked JJ about that in one of his yt videos and he replied that this is not viable anymore. I suspect that the high quality time stretcher/pitch shifter has taken a large amount of mpc's flash memory for the os