Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By 6/8 Stanley Fri Dec 10, 2021 3:03 am
I can record vocals with guitar (without a metronome - freestyle with changing swing, time sig and BPM's) on the recorder and send it to reaper. It's easy to make exportable MIDI tempo maps from freestyle audio in Reaper (thanks to the Kenny videos about exactly that). If it's possible to import that tempo map to the MPC it may be possible to lay some drum tracks etc. on that and freestyle some beats quantized to the recorded freestyle audio. I'd be listening to to the recorded audio from the mixer while hitting the pads. Sweet !

But I can't find anything about importing and using a MIDI file like that on the older MPC's. I searched the AKAI and JJOS manuals, including my MPC Tutor books, nothing.
Lots about that on forums and videos but it's all about the One, Live, X, Force etc. And most of that is about how wonky the procedure is. Even if it's just going to a different DAW.

So am I missing something or am I trying to fly by flapping my arms? Is anybody making this work?

Sure there's always workarounds. For example make the tempo map in Reaper, freestyle the beats while listening to the recorded audio, then record the MPC audio and tighten it up to the tempo map in reaper. But it would take longer and wouldn't be as fun, especially if there are a lot of drm and instrument tracks.