Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By guaposounds Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:44 pm
I am pulling my hair out trying to figure out why the sequencer isn't recording notes. My DX7 is going to MIDI in on the MPC2500 w JJOSXL. The MIDI monitor shows every key note on and off just fine, it even triggers samples on the pads, but when trying to record to the sequencer, no notes are recorded. I also can record the pads in to the sequencer just fine. Just the incoming MIDI not being recorded. Anyone else had this issue or know what this might be?
By guaposounds Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:04 pm
UPDATE: I found it. The "Multi Timbre" needed to be off. Not sure why this was causing this problem, but it fixed it.
By Soothsayer Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:18 pm
In Multitimbral, it is still recording notes into the MPC, just onto the same number track that the DX7's is sending notes on. So for example, if the DX7 sends notes on channel 7, and track 7 on the MPC isn't muted at the time of record, the notes will be recorded on track 7.

Multitimbral's helpful if you have a bunch of stuff that sends MIDI out to different channels that you want recorded in a performance. Otherwise yeah, turning multitimbral off will be easier.
By guaposounds Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:39 pm
Thank you Soothsayer! That is good to know. I tested out Multitimbre On mode and it works as you said it should. I notice when I turn it off that there is an "Active track receive channel" option that I will leave on ALL, so it will always record MIDI to whatever track is selected. This will probably be the only way I need to use the MPC, but it's nice to know all the options available in case I get any other ideas for a setup.