Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By EmJay_ Sun Apr 09, 2023 7:48 pm
Hello!

I have read a lot about single cycles and I have got some basics shapes working (albeit they often end up sounding like cheezy strings). The one thing I can't find info about though is, how do I know if they are in key or what note I am playing? In JJOS the note pups up at the top when in INST mode (C#1, G2, etc) but I believe that is just the relative note of the base sample. Is there any way to be sure I am playing a C-G-A# baseline ? I mostly play guitar along with the MPC but without a bass line it's just not filled out.

One other thought was creating a program of a plucked C on the bass and INST it but I'm not sure how well it would work. :hmmm:

Would love to hear how others make bass lines in a way where you're able to keep track of the notes / key! :smoker:
By EmJay_ Mon Apr 10, 2023 4:27 pm
One thing suggested on the gear space forums which was pretty genius. Load the pulse sample trigger with what JJOS recognizes as a C note, (bank A pad 9 I think), then play the MPC through a tuner pedal and tweak it until it's a C. Then switch the mode to INST and it should theoretically be on key. I will try this today then report back.
By EmJay_ Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:46 pm
EmJay_ wrote:One thing suggested on the gear space forums which was pretty genius. Load the pulse sample trigger with what JJOS recognizes as a C note, (bank A pad 9 I think), then play the MPC through a tuner pedal and tweak it until it's a C. Then switch the mode to INST and it should theoretically be on key. I will try this today then report back.

Works like a charm