Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By Stig Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:20 pm
Hello! First time posting on here, hopefully this isn’t a daft question that’s already been asked! Anyway here goes…

I’d like to use the MPC 1000 with JJOS to play back stems of a track as part of a live performance. Essentially looped synth parts, drums, vocals etc. I’d be using the MPC 1000 as master clock for some synths and drum machines and need to be able to change the BPM throughout the set ideally from the MPC.

So my question is, can the MPC 1000 time stretch the audio loops/stems in real time? During a live set?

I’ve seen videos online of real-time time stretching using the MPC 1000 but not while playing live. In this video you can see the MPC being used live with audio loops but they go out of time when the BPM is changed. (20m50secs) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnFoKhB ... MGWJzyk77U

So is there a way to avoid this happening and have loops time stretch in real time during a live set?

Thanks in advance!
By hyena Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:25 pm
no, it can not if you think stuff similar to ableton live.
however you may use patched phrase, with which you can chop up a sample and then the loop follows bpm by playing the slices more close or far from each other.
it's like chopping, but you don't have to play the slices, you just slice a loop, then use it as a normal loop but it will adjust to tempo. of course if you have just minor bpm changes it might work, if you have abrupt big tempo gaps it will sound bad (empty space between one slice and the other. you can cheat a bit using a delay or reverb effect, but of course is not ideal).
By hyena Wed Nov 01, 2023 1:15 pm
yes, the new models all have warp like ableton live, but i kinda hate it, i'd love to see an implementation where the mpc just automatically tunes up or down your samples to follow bpm, for drums it would be awesome, not so much for melodic stuff tho... anyway check the new mpc's, a second hand mpc live mk1 goes for peanuts nowadays and its a pretty great piece of gear (i have one, tho i prefer the 1000 with jj for a number of reasons)