Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By Reptoid Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:29 pm
I started using jjosx around 2015 when I first got my MPC1000, I use exclusively drum programs live triggered by external midi input (mostly drum triggers.) I would really love to be able to use the pad cycle feature but it doesn't work with external MIDI input, only physically hitting the pads. All the other features seem to work fine with MIDI triggering. I don't know if this is a bug that got fixed at some point but I haven't found much reference to it in all my searching. Does anyone else know about this?
By Soothsayer Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:47 pm
It's not a bug. Per-manual:

"Notes
A cycle is not work by MIDI IN NOTE.
Even if it set to TARGT the pad with which the pattern is set, only the sample assigned by the program is pronounced."
By Reptoid Sun Dec 17, 2023 7:27 am
Soothsayer wrote:It's not a bug. Per-manual:

"Notes
A cycle is not work by MIDI IN NOTE.
Even if it set to TARGT the pad with which the pattern is set, only the sample assigned by the program is pronounced."

Thanks for the reply. Looks like it's some technical limitation. I also asked this message on the youtube video demonstrating this feature and got this reply:

"Please assign a pad to CC on the "Midi Note/CC To Button" page.
For example, if you assign PAD13 to CC16, you can control pad 13 with CC16 from outside.
Please refer to the following link about a "Midi Note/CC To Button" page.
https://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/os2xl/button.htm

Cycle settings cannot be made using an external MIDI note.
Cycle settings can be made using the MPC, and the pads to which the cycle has been set can be hit using an external MIDI CC.
OS2XL cannot assign pads to external MIDI notes.
Pads can only be assigned to external MIDI CC.
Link explains how to assign pads to external MIDI CC."

So it looks like there is a workaround if I can somehow convert the midi notes I'm sending to CC data then I can utilize this feature. I will see what I can do and report back.
By Soothsayer Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:24 am
Do you use iOS or a computer? There's apps that can do note to CC conversion. Quick search and I found mfxConvert on iOS, for example. I'd guess Drambo on iOS can do this too. Think there's something in Max/MSP as well if you use Ableton.
By Reptoid Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:38 am
Well, I went and tried this with CC data instead of Notes. I can get it to trigger the pads but unfortunately the cycle feature still does not work. Both pads just play back simultaneously.
By Reptoid Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:31 pm
For anyone who is interested, I did get this feature to kinda work with external CC data. It needs to be sent one high message (64 or higher) and one low message (63 or lower) to work properly. The only problem now is that the cycle feature (even when using the pads manually) completely ignores pad mutes which kinda makes it partially unusable for me.