Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By JRck Mon Jan 15, 2024 12:09 pm
As the title says I want to get myself some hardware and I've found myself looking at the MPC line of samplers. I'm a huge fan of that classic workflow so I immediately ruled out any of the newer ones as I'm not just looking for a DAW in the box. I own an SP404-MK2 but I need a centrepiece for my studio. This is where the dilemma comes in. The 2000xl is responsible for so many classic records, but the main thing is that it's old and to get it updated and fully maxed out would be expensive. The 2500 is much more recent (if you count the 2000's as recent :lol: ) but it has more capabilities than the 2000xl and with JJOS will definitely be a beast. Any advice is welcome and thank you for your help in advance :o
By Lampdog Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:03 pm
2500 w/ jjos.

Doesn’t matter how many classics were made with either machine.
Only matters that you’re happy and comfortable with the machine.
Only matter that it gives you what you want.
2500 w/ jjos gives you the most flexibility and options.
By Christov Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:31 pm
Lampdog wrote:2500 w/ jjos.

This plus the usb port. And standard 8 out. And the option to add an internal HD.
By MPC-Tutor Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:03 pm
would have to be the 2500 running some form of JJOS. MPC2000XL probably has a better 'sound' compared to a 2500 (but it's not going to give you 'that' sound, e.g. 60 or 3000) but all in all, you'll have a more features and easier back and forth to a computer with the 2500, plus more available spares. 2500 with the large screen upgrade is the only legacy MPC I ever go near these days.
By JRck Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:39 pm
Lampdog wrote:2500 w/ jjos.

Thank you for this. I watch Avee Mcree's video from 2020 on it and the workflow is the one that works for me if I'm honest. The sampling capabilities are great and I'm planning to get a maxed out RAM version anyway.
By hyena Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:27 am
2500 or 1000 with jjos2xl is still the best sequencing machine i know, the sound of them is questionable (i personally love it and prefer it compared to the 2kxl which was my first mpc, its not a pristine sound or a classic oldschool vibe , but it has loudness and punch and sort of its own flavour). performance wise and composition wise jjos2xl is still king imho.
By Menco Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:18 pm
2500 always felt like they took everything great about the 2KXL and upgraded it. Faster processor, bigger screen, FX and 8 assignable out standard, CF card, USB port (although very primitive). Not even talking about capabilities JJOS unlocks.

Murdering with an XSE atm, but a lot of times I still boot up the 2500 cause some things are done easier and quicker on the 2500.
By Sense-A Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:03 pm
I don't even have a 2500. I have a maxed out 1000 with JJOS. I wouldn't even trade my maxed out 1K for a 2000xl.

With JJOS you get bitcrushing, sample rate reduction to shape sound. Not as good as the sound Pete Rock was able to get out of a 2000xl.

My suggestion is go with the 2500 with JJOS and add something else to shape sound. I use a roland bitrazer, a delay pedal, a couple other FX boxes.

If you REsample, you can make the mpc2500 work.

One thing the MPC 1000/2500 is NOT good at is interpolation. That means that if you play a sample on a key other than the root key, it begins to sound like garbage. This is in comparison to an Akai S1100 or Ensoniq ASR-10 in which you can play samples up and down the keyboard and they still sound good.