Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By notimetowaste Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:31 am
As the title states...

Anyone else think this is annoying - I often want to delete more tracks but have to re-enter track list every time. It's just because I have a lot of miditracks auto-loaded from start and I delete those I don't use during a session. Minor thing but annoying and doesn't follow the logic in other menus where you stay in the menu above after an action is done...
By The Jackal Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:06 pm
stop auto-loading templates with everything set up and instead save a few single midi sequences with different track settings based off what you commonly use and then pick & choose which of those to load from? it sounds like you're basically loading some sort of template, so just create several different templates for different things.

i don't use templates because i don't like creating set workflows like "track 3 is always bass", "this piece of gear always goes on this track", "my synth is on midi channel 13, i have to put it on track 13 on my mpc". i will record a kick on track 1, snare on track 2, fill up a bunch of other tracks...then realize i want a simple snare-fill at the end of 8 bars and just put it on track 97 for all i care. synth on track 6 and record automation for it on track 11 because tracks 7-10 are full of other stuff. it sounds all over the place, but even simple templates become too constricting to me.

i'm able to work fast because i don't care about where i put stuff and because how music looks/is formatted has absolutely no bearing to me. as long as i mentally map out everything, my system of slop works absolutely great for me. whatever idea i'm working on takes up whatever midi channel or track i'm on at the moment.