Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).

By earwolf Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:36 pm
this and a romour about Prodigy from Mobb Deep dead on same day? whats up with the internet today? :x

By djobserv Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:16 am
it tunes the same way as before?

i dont know about autochromatic

By Menthal Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:49 am
before tune with 16 levels was monophonic and each sample was cutting each other making it impossible to build melodies...now you can!!!!

By japspecvr6 Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:16 am
wow this is serious

By M02 Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:52 am
Yeah he is right, its now polyphonic. I don't think this is necessarily a good thing, it would be nice if you had the option to choose. For alot of things, bass for example, you don't want it to be polyphonic. Can someone explain to me the difference between autochromatic on the 2k and the 16levels tune on the 1k? is it just the monophonic/polyphonic? I've always wondered.

By Lampdog Sun Jul 30, 2006 8:30 am
M02 wrote:Can someone explain to me the difference between autochromatic on the 2k and the 16levels tune on the 1k? is it just the monophonic/polyphonic? I've always wondered.

Read the 2kxl manual on autochromatic and 16 levels, and you'll easily find your answer.

By Menthal Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:20 am
it seems that when the sample is oneshot is polyphonic, when is noteon is not....i don't remember if it was like this on os 2.1...?

By M02 Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:15 pm
Lampdog wrote:
M02 wrote:Can someone explain to me the difference between autochromatic on the 2k and the 16levels tune on the 1k? is it just the monophonic/polyphonic? I've always wondered.

Read the 2kxl manual on autochromatic and 16 levels, and you'll easily find your answer.

Uh oh... the manuel police got me. I don't want to go to the akia site, download a big pdf that i'm never going to use again, sift through it and hopefully find my answer. I would rather some good samaritan take about the same amount of lines and time that you took, to explain it to me.
Its getting to the point where you can't ask a question in here without someone jumping down your throat... Isn't that what the boards are for? I mean sure, any question any one is ever going to ask is written in a book some where, though its proven that question and answer is a more efficient form of learning.

By TennesseePimp865 Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:29 pm
[/quote]Uh oh... the manuel police got me. I don't want to go to the akia site, download a big pdf that i'm never going to use again, sift through it and hopefully find my answer. I would rather some good samaritan take about the same amount of lines and time that you took, to explain it to me.
Its getting to the point where you can't ask a question in here without someone jumping down your throat... Isn't that what the boards are for? I mean sure, any question any one is ever going to ask is written in a book some where, though its proven that question and answer is a more efficient form of learning.[/quote]

Well said

By ryssen Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:43 pm
M02 wrote:though its proven that question and answer is a more efficient form of learning.

Might be true for fast, not-sorting-anything-out type of learning, like stuffing a sausage. But I think a "search and you will find"-mentality helps grasping the bigger context of things and helps keeping a more critical stance to the information you digest.
What you invest time and work in is always more rewarding than what you just take a second to do, whether it´s making music or absorbing knowledge.

By thynctank Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:05 pm
I never had an XL, only a 2k and now a 1k, but the difference is this, so far as I understand:

16 levels is transitory, a temporary state, which you know. It literally enters notes all from the same pad, only with +-10 cent tunage per pad depending on how many pads away from the root pad you hit.

Autochromatic is not transitory. It's a new program, much the same as autoslice can generate a new program, only autochromatic is with one sample tuned across pads a la 16 levels. In addition, however, autochromatic maps MIDI notes to those pads, so that a keyboard attached to the MPC can play the notes naturally, ie with sharps on black keys, etc.

That's it. If you need to play with keys, autochromatic is the way.

I haven't looked at this feature on 3.03 (dude I forgot to bring a power cable with my MPC lastnight, how dumb is that?? Don't feel like canibalizing my girl's computer, cables are hard to get to...) but I suspect JJ has not implemented actual autochromatic, which refers to the chromatic mapping of the notes to keys, not the polyphony.

Still a cool feature, though as M02 has said, it would be good if it were switchable from mono to poly. Does it not correspond to the pad's own mono/poly settings?? This would seem logical to me.

Course, why is this in a new thread and not in the regular OS thread?

-tank.

By lukas412 Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:20 pm
It does correspond to the "Voice Overlap" parameter of the pad. Can't remeber if 2.01 was like that or not.

Luke

By ucacjbs Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:48 pm
I think this is the same as in 2.1 - if you've a polyphonic sample, it would allow multiple simultaneous notes when using 16 levels-tune.

This isn't the same as autochromatic (thynctank explains that above)

By kja Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:02 am
man im a cook and stuffing my sausage is serious!!! :lol: