Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By theverdict Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:48 pm
i cant seem to get the direct record feature on the new os to work right i mean it works but when i play what i recorded with the track it puts it in the WRONG SPOT how f-ing anoying can any one tell me what im doing wrong????

By TBonus76 Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:30 am
That's a known bug in the OS. It inserts silence att he begining of the recording.

Until it is fixed, you have to chop off the extra silence in trim mode.

By gunmetal Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:32 pm
make sure the time you record in is set to zero ( in the upper right hand corner) by hitting the left bar button before you punch back in. you should do this even after you press the play start button to start your sequence over. i noticed, if you make an initial mistake the second punch will have the time recorded still in its memory so you may experience overlapping or latency in the recording. i hope this helps.

By orgo Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:08 am
what i do to avoid dropouts and wron timing at the beging:
I record 4 bars if the loop ist 2 bars. Than I trim the first 2 bars...

By bigman Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:54 am
Yeah, or you could just try to play along and trim the beginning when it is done. It does have a bit of a dropout, but if you cut it at the nearest zero crossing after the sound comes in you should be okay and not too off time.

I have written to the JJ group about this and other direct record problems many times with different ways of describing the problem (problem is different depending on which input you select). But they have not figured it out as of yet (3.05). My best guess so far of why this isn't fixed from their responses is that they do not have the proper equipment to test the digital and analog inputs in direct record mode.

I have also found another new bug (maybe someone else did too, who knows) with direct record mode, but can't submit it until 1.0 drops since they closed the bugreport area. The bug occurs when you have a "take" that is longer than the specified loop time. When this happens the take loops correctly when the sequence repeats, but when you switch sequences the take plays completely through the next sequence to the end of the recording and also overlaps(doubles) with whatever you may have on the direct record track for the next sequence selected. You could get around this by assigning the take to a program/pad and triggering it on another track, but that is a lot of work for getting around this problem.

To make things easy until this gets fixed in further builds, you might want to just go into record mode (mode+pad5) and record a take while playing along with the sequence. Remember to make an audible mark at the downbeat for parts that might start not exactly at the first beat so when trimming you know where to cut at 1.00.00 for everything to sync. Then assign this sample to a pad and record the note on message for that pad at 1.0. This is a kind of lengthy, but a more stable workaround timing wise.