Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By slingblade Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:34 am
I recorded a sample 8 bars long and one 16 bars long. I matched the metronome as close as possible but I'm not to concerned about this right now. Id like to link the two samlpes which are now trimed into sequences. Ive screwed around with the sequence edit and step edit but cant seem to move to sequences very much. Timestreching didnt change the gap either for some reason. when seq1 ends and seq2 begins, there is a brief blank spot. Id guess maybe 1/8 of a second or so. Id really like to know how to link sequences together seemlessly. Any help would be very much appreciated! thanks
Last edited by slingblade on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By slingblade Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:11 am
ya thanks but theres gotta be a better way. if theres a gap between the sequences you must be able to shift the whole sequence either further apart, (not sure when you would do that, maybe to ad something in between) or closer together. If i could move seq1 up to seq2 to get rid of the gap or move seq2 back to make them seemless. I dont think you can move seq2 back any further than 001.01.00, but there has gotta be a way to make seq1 end a fraction of a bar sooner and go right into seq2 with no gaps or clicks or anything.

By TBonus76 Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:30 am
It already does man. There is no pause between sequences. The pause you are hearing is because either:

1)The tempo you have set is not the exact same tempo that your sample is so tweak the tempo until the sample loops right.

or

2)You need to chop the silence from in front of your sample.

or

3)You chopped the end of your sample too short.

or

4) any combination of the above.

It's not the MPC pausing between sequences.

By TBonus76 Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:33 am
wait I thought of another one:

or

5) Your sample is not starting exactly on 1:1:000

By slingblade Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:34 am
I don't think its that simlpe. I realize with an electronically timed sample its really simple. This is live drums and there is 3 beats in the intro before it goes into the 4\4. Also the bpm only goes to one decimal so it might not be able to loop because it could be between 132.3 and 132.4 or whatever. the intro is actually 35 beats. its pretty long and might need to be 132.36 bpm or something like that. it would be so convenient if you could just slide the sequences together. Also time stretching makes the live drums sound weird. I shouldnt need to change the pitch. I would be a little disapointed in this thing if it wasnt capable of such a simple effect. also the autoload won't load anymore and I keep loosing sequences that I saved individually. what a piss off man! such a buggy mutherfuker. as much as I love this thing it has some time consuming ways to do simple things. I'm just about ready to load these sequences into cool edit and then I can drag them where ever I want.
Last edited by slingblade on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By slingblade Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:06 am
"t's not the MPC pausing between sequences"

I realize its not pausing, its because the sample ends at lets say 13.01.78
or whatever but you can only set the bars to 12 or 13 or 14. I also realize adjusting the bpm of the metronome should get it close but a loop this size will go out of phase quickly unless the bpm is Exact. its no good if the sample is 132.66 bpm and the metronome is at 132.7. again, timestretching sounds like shit, and dialling in the metronome is not fun, timeconsuming, and personally I think its quite unprofessional. especially when the bpm only goes to one decimal. there has got to be a way to make the sequence stop at any time and go to the next seq. such as 13.01.78
or 13.01.79 or 13.01.80 or 13.01.81.... you get the idea. I would consider this a huge flaw that would make this thing much less powerfull than it could be. but i think this is where seq edit or step edit comes into play. Although i have spend time screwing with them and had no effect on the space between. **** this buggy **** pisses me off sometimes. how long does it need to take to do such simple tasks. cmon 0s 2.2 where are you? Another thing I dont like is that there is no line that displays where the track is at in trim mode. its just stupid. why not have a line that moves thru the waveform when playing and stops when u stop the track. all music programs have this. the resolution could be better as well. my loop points are good tho. just takes longer to make them than it should. nowhere near as quick as most computer programs. the big disapointment with a lot of programs ive noticed is shaddy, complex timestreching. Ever beatmapped with acid pro 4? what a joke!. Id be happier with a pitch slidder for each track. Its not that hard to get two turntables to match up.
Last edited by slingblade on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

By slingblade Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:08 am
2)You need to chop the silence from in front of your sample.

or

3)You chopped the end of your sample too short.

sorry but I know how to make a loop, thank you.

By gunmetal Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:56 am
... :roll: he does have a point. the mpc sets up sequences no matter the tempo to at least start immediately after the previous sequence is finished. so mr t bonus' advice is relevent. to have a silence in the beat like that is almost disturbing... did you check step edit for the time of the sound? or the attack and decay of the sample?

By TBonus76 Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:04 pm
slingblade wrote:
sorry but I know how to make a loop, thank you.

Apparently you don't. Making a loop can sometimes involve a lot more than just chopping in the right place. So...do you want help or not? You keep changing your description of the problem, then you get all snotty about it? Damn kid.

slingblade wrote: I matched the metronome as close as possible but I'm not to concerned about this right now

Sorry man, but that sure sounds like someone who doesn't know how to make a loop. Not worried about the tempo? You better learn to worship that tempo.

You didn't explain your problem very well in the first couple of posts.

slingblade wrote: This is live drums and there is 3 beats in the intro before it goes into the 4\4

Why didn't you say so. If that's the case then why don't you insert a 3/4 bar before the 4/4?!?

slingblade wrote: Also the bpm only goes to one decimal so it might not be able to loop because it could be between 132.3 and 132.4 or whatever

slingblade wrote:I also realize adjusting the bpm of the metronome should get it close but a loop this size will go out of phase quickly unless the bpm is Exact.

It would be nice to have an extra decimal place, true, but if you can't get the loop to sound right with only the one decimal place, then you probably need to chop your long loop into smaller sections. Chop it into 1 or 2 bar chunks if it is so offbeat, and use tempo changes if you need to. Each bar can be a slightly different tempo if you are having problems with it. You could even change the tempo every beat if you had to. The smaller you chop it, the more control you will have.

Use your head man. There are many ways to do what you are trying to do. Don't just blame the MPC.

By slingblade Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:17 pm
not snotty I really appreciate your help but you cant say these things don't piss you off sometimes. :D I'd really like to know why im losing all these files and why the autoload isnt working. Guess thats a new post tho. never had this problem before. I lost sequences that used to autoload everytime I turned it on. lost the samples as well. In the "load setup" menu, I only have 2 options... "Autoload:OFF" and "Autoload:INTERNAL MEMORY". I thought there was an "Autoload:ON" option before. Weird eh?
Chopping up into smaller sequences should work good tho. I think you should be able to shift the sequences together or cut the first seq at whatever point so it goes right into seq2. Id really like to learn this. I think its in either seq or step edit, but any changes I make has no impact when I play it back.

By slingblade Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:59 pm
but sorry man, I was being a bit of a dick. Its not just the mpc. There are many good editing devices or programs and they are pretty unbelievable but I find some are more complex in some ways than they should be. Long live the MPC!

By slingblade Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:44 am
well i do feel a little stupid but im glad i asked the question to save me the time.

By TBonus76 Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:44 am
??? Yo, are you replying to yourself now? I think you might need to go see a doctor man, you on some schizophrenia type sh1t. :lol:

By slingblade Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:21 pm
haha, ok doctor. i didnt realize this was english class. how dare i write 3 consecutive posts. i really wish i put that all into one (sarcasm). I was trying to learn how to end the sequence when the loop ended. this way the tempo would not be relevent, and the loop would still be as live as possible. one or two bar loops are not really live now are they? or maybe the drummer is perfect. no tempo change thu out the whole song. must be the best drummer in the world! i was trying to keep the track as untouched as possible. i admitted i was wrong, apologized, and thanked you for your time, and you tried to give me a mental evaluation. maybe you need some meds.