Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By netGRINDER Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:30 am
does anyone has a good advice for using the lfo's? I don't know for which sounds/samples it makes sense to works with the lfo function.

By bigman Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:20 am
Here's a couple of threads I put here and at recollective to help explain the use of the mpc's lfos.

thread 1

Since 2.1 came out I have been using the Lfo's on the filters to change the sound and make samples have more "movement".

Since an lfo is just a device that turns up and down a paramater automatically with a controllable rate, you can use it on many of the mpc's controls (at pad level). You can experiment with whatever paramater you want to see just what this can do to a sound. Here are a couple of examples of controlling the filter with the lfo to get you going.

On drums, put a low pass filter on a kick and set the freq to about 50ish and the resonance to 30 or above. Go to the lfo screen and set freq1 to say 60. Then set the rate to 1.00 to start. Play your kick and change the filters to hear what ways they change the sound. Play around with the freq1 knob to hear more or less of this effect. With the time knob turn it up to hear long sweeping filters or short to hear a wabbly effect.

On other samples, lets say a pad sound that lasts a while put a low filter on it. Set the freq to somewhere below 50 and resonance wherever. You can also put another filter or link and try whatever you like for settings. Then in lfo, set the freq1 and freq2 levels somewhere above 50 and the type to saw down. Set the rate to 2.00 this time and hear the pad have a rhythmic repeat every half bar. If you set it to 4.00 it repeats every bar.

When playing with this, i've also noticed that the rate and delay fields in the lfo screen do not go by ms as I used to think. These are actually quarter notes. (ie: 1.00 is one beat, 2.00 is two beats, .50 is a eighth note, .25 16 note and so on).

Also, having two different filters with different values and levels can produce good effects, since one filter will cut off the other and make the sound of the sample change (fat to thin, mid thin fat, or whatever) through the sample playing.

Try messing with different types of samples, filters, lfo types and settings to get really familiar with it and it could give you a few new ideas about sound manipulation with the mpc.

I made a couple of quick audio examples to better illustrate this. (Sorry if they are sloppy or too loud, I did this on my lunch break just for the sake of example).

Here is a pad synth dry played once through

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43eb632em1 ... EBEBvgYh6I

Here is the same pad synth played once through with these filter/lfo settings:

Filter 1-
Type: Low Pass
Freq: 53
Reso: 70

Filter 2-
Type: Link

Lfo-
Wave: Saw Down
Rate: 02.00
Filter1: 57
Filter2: 59

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43eb632em1 ... EBMpKwHa61

The second example uses an 808 kit playing a 1 kick 1 snare loop, left dry.

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43eb632em1 ... EBJi_WOYcJ

Here is the same exact pattern and kit, using these filter/lfo settings:

Kick:
Filter1-
Type: low pass
Freq: 17
Reso: 42

Lfo-
Wave: Triangle
Rate: 00.50
Filter1: 67

Snare:
Filter1-
Type: low pass2
Freq: 63
Reso: 56

Filter2-
Type: Link

Lfo-
Wave: Triangle
Rate: 01.00
Filter1: 72
Filter2: 62

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/43eb632em1 ... EB.UvXUnEy

Thread 2

Lfo's don't alter sound on their own, they turn values up and down at a certian rate. Think of an lfo as an automated hand (thank you thing) turning a knob or slider up and down at whatever speed(rate) you want in whatever style(waveform) you say. In the mpc you have one free hand(lfo) per pad to assign to whatever you want.

So say you want to make a tremolo effect (volume up and down) on a sample. You would select the sample and go into the program screen, then press F5 to enter the lfo screen.

1. First go to rate, this is how fast the hand(lfo) is going to get turned up and down. It goes by beats synced to the main tempo, so when you set it to 1.0 it goes up and down every quarter note, .48 makes it go up and down every 1/8 note, 2.0 a half note, etc.

2. Next go to the field you want the lfo to turn up and down. In this case it will be level. Turn this up to 100 for the full effect of the lfo to be enabled. You can turn it down to whatever sounds good, but for this example 100 is good. (Remember you can also set the amounts for pitch, level, and filt1&2 to all react to the lfo if you want)

3. Go to the delay field and enter a small number like .24. This will stop the lfo from kicking in for a 1/16 note. So you will get the sample played straight for the first 1/16 note then it will be tremolo'd at the speed you entered in rate.

4. Go to wave. This field is the shape of how the lfo acts. A triangle shape makes the lfo turn up gradually like the upslope of a triangle and then down again at the same rate after the peak hits (like a triangle) again and again. The Sine wave is similar but has more of a rounded shape. Play with these and see what the different shapes do to the lfo.

*For cool filter sweeps and more noticable tricks, set the filter(s) and resonance for the sample, then do the same lfo process as above, but instead set filt1 and(or) filt2's amounts to 100 instead of level. (You can back off the high amounts if you'd like, but at 100 you can really hear what the lfo is doing.)

**Also depending on the type of sample and it's length, the lfo rate, delay and waveform will sound completely different, so experiment with it.
By jiggaman108 Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:17 pm
Help me out, Theres somethin called, portabela or "Glide" with bas that lets it change the pitch to the next note, really popular with midi keyboards and software synths. on the mpc you can play it live with the Slider on Real Time Tune, but for me thats a hassle, is there any way to use LFO with the slider to get that glide effect with bass?? this would be a dream come true, any info would be nice!!!
By distortedtekno Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:26 am
jiggaman108 wrote:Help me out, Theres somethin called, portabela or "Glide" with bas that lets it change the pitch to the next note, really popular with midi keyboards and software synths. on the mpc you can play it live with the Slider on Real Time Tune, but for me thats a hassle, is there any way to use LFO with the slider to get that glide effect with bass?? this would be a dream come true, any info would be nice!!!

http://www.producepete.com/shows/portabella.html
:wink:

The correct term you're looking for is portamento.

8)

By TBonus76 Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:31 am
Mmmmm.... portabellas.... mmmmmm.

There really isn't any way that i'm aware of that you could simulate portamento with the LFOs... I think your best bet is rididng that q-slider.... or couldn't you step edit in the proper values so you don't have to be so perfect on the slider?

By Martha Stewart Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:28 pm
Oh my, I simply love the sweet, savory taste of portabella (also known as portobello) mushrooms! Here is an excellent recepie from my book, "Menus For Entertaining." It's one of my favorites! Give it a try... it will surely have you "hip-hopping" with joy when you taste it!! Don't forget to put on your apron boys!!

Roasted Peppers with Orzo And Portobello Filling Recipe Vegetable

Ingredients:
3 bell peppers
1 cup orzo
1/2 pound portobello mushrooms, washed and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup dry white wine
1 bunch arugula -- stemmed and chopped
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese -- grated
1 teaspoon coarse salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions:
Cut the stem ends off the peppers, reserving tops. Peppers can also be sliced in half lengthwise. Remove the seeds and membranes. Set aside while making filling.

In a large stockpot, cook the orzo in boiling water for 15 to 20 minutes, until al dente. Drain.

In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms in the olive oil over medium-high heat for five minutes. Add the wine and arugula and cook for 1 minute. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the orzo and Parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Fill the prepared peppers with the orzo mixture.

Preheat the oven to 375 F. Arrange the peppers upright on baking sheets. Replace the tops if desired and roast for 25 to 40 minutes, depending on size.

Per serving: 317 Calories; 14g Fat (46% calories from fat); 10g Protein; 27g Carbohydrate; 11mg Cholesterol; 883mg Sodium
Green, red or yellow bell peppers can be used.

Source: My wonderful Book: Martha Stewart/Menus For Entertaining

Available now at Amazon.com and your local bookseller:

http://www.amazon.com/Martha-Stewart-s- ... F8&s=books

This recepie is sure to impress any of your lady friends. Go get yourself a fine bottle of wine (no MD 40/40 boys!) and enjoy this tasty treat with you favorite ladyfriend. She will love you for it, and you may get some good lovin' from it!! (Portobellos are an afrodisiac!) Just remember to use protection!!

Tata for now!!

By joeybells Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:55 pm
Good question, why on earth don't we have potamento on the MPC1000?
I miss it regularly. Maybe one for JJ.

By Antonym Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:26 am
isn't the concept of a keygroup integral to having a working portomento?
By junky limbo Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:25 am
LFO is very cool on hihats. Let's say you want to have a more humanized sound to your machine. Then just add a little bit of pitch modulation via the LFO on your hihats. You can also use it on congas and the like.

I also happen to sample chord sounds. Fliter modulation via an LFO for the Low AND the High Pass Filter is just great. Best results are achieved when you humanize the LFO modulation with an additional modulation you record with the sliders. Very Resonator-like.