Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).

By naugie Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:47 pm
bump

By Antonym Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:48 pm
no os 2.1 discussion haha

actually i don't know cuz i don't use pp
By skamgdi Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:31 pm
DUDE 1st this is os 1.0 forum 2nd read the book damnit and 3rd dude just adjust the tempo in the main screen that will adjust the tempo of the PP its all based on the main tempo of the seq

By Grant Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:43 pm
patched phrases are crap!

At least I think so - just never use them I suppose.....

By 8bitsofdeath Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:56 pm
naugie: i know what you're talking about, i wanted to do the same thing. unfortunately it seems you have to rechop the file to be able to set the tempo of the PP again. pain in the a$$ for mad slices..aka accurate :roll:

By Antonym Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:21 am
Grant wrote:patched phrases are ****!

At least I think so - just never use them I suppose.....

it's just not as cool as having a pgm of chopped samples...

By 8bitsofdeath Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:50 pm
i gave up trying to find a decent use for patched phrase ages ago.

By naugie Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:44 pm
u all dont know how to use patch phrase then :shock: . ya the only way i find to change the patch phrase tempo is by recutting the sample agin and then giving it a new tempo.. the old way was as simple as going into trim going to the name of the sample and changing the tempo in there easily.

patch phrases are great for melodics and drums and words. if u dont use it then u dont know how to loop.. if u work with slices its basically like patch phrase. difference between pp and slices is with slices in a pgm file u can sequence certain parts with slices and tune or detail certain parts. where as patch phrase u cant do that. in pp u have a loop with several sounds coming all from one pad instead of using up an entire pad bank or all banks. u are workn with loops, if u tune then u tune all.if u change tempo then u will change that loops tempo. but if u aint no looper u wont know wtf im talkn about.. if u dont know patch phrase then damn ur missn out on looping ...ya i wish jj brought this option back to change the tempo of the pp

heres an advantage over slices using pp.

1:it uses one pad in the pad bank compared to slices where it can be a 64 slice and comsume all pad banks from the program witch btw ur allowed to have 24 programs only

2: sense we cant save chop presets this is the other alternative to saving ur chops into a hole wav. u can extract the sounds u want from a pp

3:if these where melodic loops or arpigios and u got them patchd phrase then with chromatic assignments or 16levels u can create this boring arpigio sample to somthin u wanna hear by pressing on ur keyboard keys.. if the sample played abcd but u hit the c key then itll play that same sample while in sync with the tracks tempo and the notes ull hear are abcd and octave down from that will be a2b2c2d2 and the key u hit is c2. it will be in sync no matter what. doesnt matter what key u hit itll be in sync always. this is not realtime stretching like some fools have called it. pp is a basic funtion that samplers have with out ull be fighting over witch sound should i purge next and witch ones should i keep.

4:how would u like to event edit today? one sound or a shit load of them. its a matter of preference but i use pp for synth parts. see with the pp all on one wav i can just edit that single wav part instead of its individual parts.

5:pp once its cut u just need to adjust the tempo. and when u change the main tempo of ur track it changes all ur pp tempo to the next neighboring tempo. where as slices u gotta redo tempo for all ur samples to adjust to new tempo. whether through semitone or cents or by timestretch

thats all that pp can offer but its still a beast even though its very basic. u all prolly now relookn at it and sayn damn wtf was i smokn for bashn such a uber elite feature.. i know right but thats why ur using slices instead of pp. so lets keep it on topic for "those that use pp" if u dont use pp or arent that well informed on how to use it then dont waste ur time defending jj os here cause i discoverd an eraser mark by the creator. ohh and uhh for the guy with rtfm response wtf manual are u talkn about lol clue me in broder..if u mean the one on jj website ya man it dont have anything on pp besides the new window that he replaced the old one with. ya its all semitone and cents in there no tempo changing.

By Antonym Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:00 pm
naugie wrote:1:it uses one pad in the pad bankbtw ur allowed to have 24 programs only

long samples are a pain in the ass, and you have control over individual note placement w/ chopped samples.

2: sense we cant save chop presets this is the other alternative to saving ur chops into a hole wav. u can extract the sounds u want from a pp

this is cool, definitely. maybe we could get jj to allow us to create both a PP AND chopped samples in the same go!

4:how would u like to event edit today? one sound or a **** load of them. its a matter of preference but i use pp for synth parts. see with the pp all on one wav i can just edit that single wav part instead of its individual parts.

mode/pad 11/whole

5:pp once its cut u just need to adjust the tempo. and when u change the main tempo of ur track it changes all ur pp tempo to the next neighboring tempo. where as slices u gotta redo tempo for all ur samples to adjust to new tempo. whether through semitone or cents or by timestretch

again, pp doesn't let you rearrange the notes/change the timing. it's too strict. unless you're dealing with a loop you absolutely do not want changed, i can't justify it. and i never use a loop that i refuse to consider changing.

i'm gonna message jj about making it so you can create both a PP and chopped sample pgm simultaneously.

By ryssen Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:36 pm
Yeah, PP equals stiff ass, non flexible quantize lock up. With sliced samples you could do anything you want anywhere you want it witha any part of the original sample, it takes a little longer to get it sounding though.

By 8bitsofdeath Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:20 pm
i would love if patched phrase referenced the chopped files so you could change/vary the settings on each hit. this is what i thought pp was supposed to do but was let down. i ended up using it for a while and still do occaisionally... but i tend to go the manual route. theres just not enough things to do with the patched phrase once its converted. also, i wish you could set loop points on your patched phrases. it would be sick if i could define timestretched chops from breaks using copies of the same patched phrase. as of now when you convert to patched phrase.. thats it. you can play it back in time w/ the beat.

By naugie Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:55 pm
ya if i cant change tempo in pp then it is now a useless feature..i dont know why jj took this option out i mean without it pp is broken pretty much...well back to trial and error with pp yay

By ryssen Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:03 pm
naugie wrote:ya if i cant change tempo in pp then it is now a useless feature..i dont know why jj took this option out i mean without it pp is broken pretty much...well back to trial and error with pp yay

Loop the phrase you are about to PP in the sequencer before you chop it. When you have a smooth sounding loop of the sample, check and remember the BPM and then chop, PP it and type in the accurate original BPM.

By naugie Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:45 pm
nahhh nahh i didnt make myself clear i know how to sample and sync :) thats not a problem. some sounds like my friend whos a keyboardist who uses his own time sig is a messy player in my game. he uses gigastudio but has no tic correction for his human errors. so i have to chop these enourmous samples he traded with me and there good there just sloppy. good thing jj gave us detect downbeat feature in this new os it cuts alot of the work for me, and i mean alot lol. i simply tap the tempo out get the tempo on the dot so im all good in that. pp it with that tempo and im set. the trial and error comes with tapping it out correctly get what im sayn?