Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By Psychedelic Schizophrenic Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:56 pm
It's 15 dollars to upgrade for OS2 to OS2XL but your need to install the free OS to upgrade to OS2XL, but you won't be able to switch between OS2 and OS2XL. If you want to switch back to OS2 then your need to hold tap tempo when powering up to switch to the Free OS, then reinstall OS2 to use it.
By twist1ne Fri May 05, 2017 3:00 pm
This is really for Tutor but I appreciate if anyone else using JJOS128XL or 128SP can chime in. I just got my 2500 and have installed the XLCD and upgraded to JJOS128XL. I'm interested in the JJOSXL Sampling Bible.

The JJOSXL Sampling Bible FAQ says:

"If you run a completely different JJOS (e.g. JJOS2, JJOS1, JJOS free, or JJOS128XL), then there will be significant differences, so we cannot officially recommend this book for you, but do let us know if you would like to see a version made for your OS."

On JJ's site however, the feature comparison chart shows probably 90% the same features for regular OSXL versions and what I have access to with the big screen/128XL and 128SP. It also says that 128SP is mainly the same as regular OSXL in basic functionality.

My question: are there any glaring differences to where it just doesn't make sense to buy the JJOSXL Sampling Bible if I intend to use 128XL (or SP) on my 2500?

Even having the book line up 85% of the time would be acceptable. Any thoughts? Anyone using the JJOSXL Bible to learn the big screen OS's?

Thanks!
By MPC-Tutor Fri May 05, 2017 3:09 pm
TBH it's been a while since I sat down with the large screen editions so I wouldn't want to comment ATM, I'll try to find the time this weekend to see just how similar 128SP actually is as ultimately I'd like to offer the book to a wider audience. But back when I wrote the book 128XL was very different to OSXL, hence the disclaimer.
By saltmcgault Fri May 19, 2017 5:31 pm
When I try to trim start/end parts on slices in chop mode I've noticed the only way to do so is with the jog wheel and it goes in greater increments than 1. Is there a way punch in the start/end number manually like in trim mode?
By kawaiiguy5000 Wed May 02, 2018 7:35 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:TBH it's been a while since I sat down with the large screen editions so I wouldn't want to comment ATM, I'll try to find the time this weekend to see just how similar 128SP actually is as ultimately I'd like to offer the book to a wider audience. But back when I wrote the book 128XL was very different to OSXL, hence the disclaimer.

Any news on this front? I am new to the MPC world. Just picked up a 1000 and purchased jjos 3. Learning what I can from jj’s Website and YouTube tutorials. But there’s basically nothing out there on OS3. A shame really since there are so many advanced sequencing / sampling tools built in. How relevant are the osxl sampling bible and beatmaking books to this os? I know things are going to be different but if the core principles and mechanics are in there and they are beneficial to os3 I’d give them a shot. It’s so wild there’s this amazing operating system and workflow possibilities, but barely any information on how to use it due to the fragmented nature of jjos.
By marceloasherq Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:26 pm
Hello, BRAND NEW MPC user here. Just bought a 2500 on Sunday!

(read: I know nothing, other than what I've been piecing together from about two weeks of research)

This is an admittedly noob question ... if I install JJOS Free, will I lose the samples that are already on this unit? Some are pretty cool. There's currently no CF card in the slot (didn't come with one, or a USB cable), but I'm a filmmaker as well as a musician, so I have a variety of 16GB and 32GB CF cards lying around.

The previous owner of this MPC sent me a video of all the pads working. When I turned it on at home, it either seems that some of the pads are NOT working, or that perhaps he just deleted some sounds from it.

I'm hesitant to start reading the original OS manual and spending all that time learning that system if I'm just going to switch to JJ OS Free in the short run. Just don't want to lose the sounds, as they provide me with SOMETHING to work with, and some are kinda cool. I put the MPC through my pedalboard and those sounds get pretty gnarly through my Whammy pedal and delay. (I'm thinking I'll probably record and sample those sounds too!).

Anyway, the short version of this, I'll repeat: Will I lose the sounds already on this unit if I put JJ OS Free on this 2500?

Thanks!
By marceloasherq Sat May 11, 2019 5:30 pm
stan steez wrote:Q: How can I install the JJ-OS, if my CF Card Reader is not working (broken pins etc.)?
A: Well, you just can't. If possible, try to fix broken or bent pins. You need to open the MPC to do that, of course. Then put the CF Card in and check if it's working. If it does, just leave it in the slot. Now, connect your MPC to your computer via USB cable and mount it. Select the CF card as source and copy the OS file to the CF Card. Restart your MPC and follow the installation procedure explained above (Case A).

Actually, you CAN instal JJOS without a functional CF reader. I just did it. Simply put the OS file on your internal HD via USB (mounted through the LOAD/SAVE/UTILITY/USB screen). Then go to "LOAD" and load the OS file from there.

Piece of cake!
By NearTao Tue May 19, 2020 10:46 pm
JJOS will maintain the firmware and the license after a factory reset.

You will just loose your settings, and will need to re-enter those.

Please note, that the factory reset will change your LCD settings as well... and you will need to hold stop (or maybe tap tempo) while turning the data wheel to adjust your contrast. You may also need to get into settings to change the data wheel type, since there are two different data wheels. If the data wheel is unresponsive afterwards, it is just a setting.

Lastly... you may need to adjust pad sensitivity.

My advice for all of these... is to write down the settings so you can reproduce them afterwards.

Honestly though, the only reason to do the reset on JJOS is if you have installed a new version and are experiencing weird behavior... this is often a result of settings that are not working properly. If you feel you need to do this because it is used, I don't think it will do much for you.