Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By dtaa pla muk Sun May 11, 2008 3:55 am
whoa.
folks, presumably in os2, load an audiotrack
go to your TEMPO control, press WINDOW.
set qlink1 to control tempo, set a small range like 90%-110%

now, enter Audio Grid Edit (AGE) and move your qlink slider...
isn't that beautiful?
Last edited by dtaa pla muk on Tue May 13, 2008 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
By dtaa pla muk Sun May 11, 2008 3:57 am
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

using this, if there was a way to simply input tempo changes via qlink from within AGE, we could "create" our own MOVABLE grid/TC groove driven entirely by NOTE ON tempo changes!!!!!
By rinseout Sun May 11, 2008 4:53 am
Nice!! Didnt try anything with the audio tracks yet.

Just the looks of it demonstrate the awesome power of the JJ OS. Tempo changes in this like groove templates in cubase .. omg!!!

Just waiting for the next fool asking how to set the bpm to a sample´s tempo. :lol:
By primebeatz Sun May 11, 2008 5:10 am
rinseout wrote:Just waiting for the next fool asking how to set the bpm to a sample´s tempo. :lol:

"How do I match the BPM of the a cappella to the BPM of my beat?"
"Is it possible to adjust the tempo of a sample without affecting pitch?"
"Should I learn the Akai OS first, then switch to JJ?"
"How do I clear the sounds that came with the machine from memory?"
"How many sounds do you have not including samples?"

****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By dave_g Sun May 11, 2008 4:54 pm
Yeah this works in OS1.

It's quite useful for determining the exact BPM of drum loops...
Record drum loop as sample. You use the tap tempo to set the sequence tempo to roughly the correct tempo.
Then assign the sample to the audio track and then using very very fine bpm adjustments set it so that the drum hits coincide with the marks on the display.
If you'd rather trust your ears than eyes, just have click track under it and see if everything syncs nicely.
By thedvs01 Mon May 12, 2008 12:46 am
beach_break wrote:
rich_biatch wrote:mr nym, i hope yer gittn paid to do this.

i think i paid him yesterday when i registered jjos.

:roll:

anyway though I don't have access to the MPC right now, so I don't fully follow this thread but I'll check it out when I get a chance - thanks
By Rendr Mon May 12, 2008 2:02 am
This is very cool. I know what you mean with the groove thing, you could use an audio track for creating your own custom groove or swing for the sequence.
By dtaa pla muk Mon May 12, 2008 2:54 pm
i experimented more with this last night
i took a sample and got a piece of paper and a pen
i put the sample in as an audio track and found the tempo that synced up the first bar of the audio track to the sequencers. i wrote this down on the piece of paper

then i went to the 2nd bar, and did the same thing. the tempo was faster by about .2 bpm.
and again, and again
then, i went to another track and inputted all these tempo changes according to what bar i "found" them at.

hit play, and now my grid is moved to fit my audio track. the i've created a coarse groove template from this audio track, and all my following quantization will reflect these tempo changes.

this is a big, big fkin deal, fellas
By Rendr Mon May 12, 2008 4:45 pm
i did a similar thing after reading this thread, it's kinda like making a custom quantise to a sample or whatever so everything else fits with that groove, is this what you mean or is there something more to it coz i can't believe this was just sitting there as a quite easy to access function. As if know ones found this before hey! Good spotting nym, ima be crankin this feature for sure!
By dtaa pla muk Mon May 12, 2008 4:48 pm
that's exactly what i mean, Rendr.
SUCH an easy to access function - it's just one of those things that i didn't use everyday so i didn't really worry about it.

it makes tempo changes so much more useful on a "1 sequence out of many" instance, rather than just a song instance.

ideally we'll someday be able to input them via qlink right there in Audio Track Grid Edit...otherwise, keep a pen and paper handy.
By tosh79 Mon May 12, 2008 6:14 pm
Hmm, i tried this yesterday matching tempo to loop but i have no idea what you mean by groove templates and tempo changing prog stuff.
By jackymurda Mon May 12, 2008 6:28 pm
yo!

can you spell out that a bit more pleeeese? :) i use groove templates all the time in my DAW...would be awesome to overstand a bit more your method on the mpc nym.

cheers!