Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Thierry C Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:17 pm
Hello everyone.

Here is my configuration:
* keyboard AxiomPro 49 -> MPC500 (midi out -> midi in)
* MPC500 -> Pattern Rack (midi out -> midi in)

I use the midi thru function to directly access the Motif Rack by the AxiomPro

Everything works fine except ...:
* I do go multi mode on the Motif Rack (16 sounds for the 16 midi channels)
* I split the AxiomPro (different keyboard areas with different MIDI channels)
* when I play the same note (ex: C2) on 2 zones of the keyboard (I use the function octave + & -), the Motif Rack blocks the note (continuous sound, therefore) of the first sound
* I can continue to play, the sounds are well managed, but I still have this sound that blocked

Details:
* when I use AxiomPro -> Motif Rack, I do not have this problem.
* Thru mode (MPC500) is set to ON; I want to play 'freely' and not linked to a track

An idea ?
Thank you.
By Thierry C Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:21 pm
In fact.

For example, i play a C2 (piano sound), i keep my finger on the keyboard and i play a C2 (organ sound).
I can hear the 2 sounds.
Then, i release a sound (piano or organ); i always hear the other sound; then i release the last one : the sound keeps plaiying (the NOTE OFF seems to be lost).
By Thierry C Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:49 pm
Keep testing ...

It's the first sound played which stays alive; even if i release it first !
By donluca Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:57 am
I know it's been 4 years since the last post... but has anyone been able to test this out?

I'm looking forward buying an MPC500 to use almost exclusively as a MIDI sequencer and this would be a complete deal breaker for me.

I often do exactly what OP is doing: split the keyboard to play my multitimbral external sound module by layering two instruments together.

Is this a known bug?
By donluca Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:09 pm
Well, I've found one for a decent price, so I guess I'll find out myself and report back.
By donluca Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:15 pm
Can confirm this incredibly annoying bug.

When you send two notes at the same time through 2 different MIDI channels, one of the two notes will get stuck.
This basically makes layering several sounds when using an external sound generator impossible unless you use an external MIDI Thru box and disable the built-in MIDI Thru of the MPC500.