Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By MPC-Tutor Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:46 am
Please list any bugs you discover in the current MPC500 operating system (V1.31). The following has been present since OS 1.0

PROGRAM NOTE ASSIGN:

> PROGRAM (MODE & pad 6)
> top line scroll to Note assign and press pad A1

Cannot assign B0 (midi note 35) to pad A1. Should be able to as this is the lowest MIDI note that exists on MPC pads (it's usually assigned to pad C11). In fact, cannot assign B0 to any pad as it doesn't appear in the scrollable list.
By Emilie Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:30 pm
When auto note repeat is on (shift+note repeat) you cant "listen" to the loop in trim mode.

When MIDI is turned off on a track, it can suddenly be turned on, on it self.
By elevated Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:33 pm
I'm not sure if this counts as a bug-- But I think I may be the first to have OS 1.31 crash on me! (A great honor, I know...)

It gave me a "cpu addr (read)" error and locked up, when I tried scroll from a sequence I was playing to a new sequence. I probably should have written down the error code.

Anyone else crash the new OS yet? I need to figure out how to avoid this happening again... it could have been... ugly.
By MPC-Tutor Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:37 pm
elevated wrote:I'm not sure if this counts as a bug-- But I think I may be the first to have OS 1.31 crash on me! (A great honor, I know...)

It gave me a "cpu addr (read)" error and locked up, when I tried scroll from a sequence I was playing to a new sequence. I probably should have written down the error code.

Anyone else crash the new OS yet? I need to figure out how to avoid this happening again... it could have been... ugly.

Can you recreate this bug and write out the steps needed to create it please?
By elevated Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:16 pm
Good idea, I'll give that a shot tonight and report back. I'm hooked on this thing by the way, it's exactly what I hoped it would be! I bought your tutorial which gave me a nice jump start too...
By elevated Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:08 pm
Okay, I'm finally back to report. I was unable to recreate the freeze that I mentioned earlier. I can't say I'm too upset about it though! Everything has been solid since that one glitch. :D
By phono Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:26 pm
crashed mine while running thru the manual, id made a few test patterns, with various things like tempo changes, qlink and the like and decided to test the option,

song mode->convert song to seq

got this error

CPU Addr (read)
PC(884b05de)

i'll see if i can recreate it

edit: cant recreate it im afraid, to my best recollection the song had step edit tempo changes, qlink data tune/filter and differnt tempo set on sequences
By phono Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:27 pm
found another, if you shift+note repeat, then enter track mute, notes sound when you mute/unmute tracks :angry:
By Emilie Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:47 pm
phono wrote:found another, if you shift+note repeat, then enter track mute, notes sound when you mute/unmute tracks :angry:

Confirmed!
Anoying!
By elevated Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:53 pm
Yep, I just ran into that one last night. Very annoying, sloppy programming! I think I was also unable to turn off the shift+note repeat, until I had exited track mute mode. Then of course had to go back into track mute mode... :roll:
By Cold Snap Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:13 pm
I had a issue last night that cost me a beat, a beat I was about done with! I was scrolling in the "load" section and I accidentally scrolled to the "usb connect" screen I believe while I was playing in song mode...what happened next damn near made me cry... the track was playing and then all of a sudden it was like the note repeat was being held down in 16ths... I could not make it stop... no matter what I would try (I tried everything possible) it would not stop...all I could do then was hit the power button...it was a wrap...the mpc is fine after reboot but my beat was lost forever...talk about a sick feeling! A lesson learned tho, now I leave my usb unplugged unless I need it.

Not sure if this counts as a bug...I'd say so tho... definitely a action that fouls it up.

Also I wish they would make it where you could hit a button (say like the erase/undo) and it disconnect from the usb instead of having to physically pull the plug every time.
By Flegmat!c Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:40 pm
everytime I save a project and load it again after turning the machine off, it only loads 1 of the sequences. It's not really a big problem if you save the individual sequences but it's still annoying.
By guyb Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:40 pm
I found a bug today, if you load a chop shop file and copy it within the MPC500 then it gets garbled. I looked into the hex file and the MPC just isn't writing the chopshop specific RIFF header (so it should be easy to fix Akai).
By Emilie Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:04 am
guyb wrote:I found a bug today, if you load a chop shop file and copy it within the MPC500 then it gets garbled. I looked into the hex file and the MPC just isn't writing the chopshop specific RIFF header (so it should be easy to fix Akai).

Hi there, do you have a chopshop file, or can you make them? I need to see the hex for a little looper program i am playing with. Thanks