Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By SNMTK Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:41 am
cool! i mean its not cool, but its always a relief when you know that youre not the only one experiencing those problems
By richrok1 Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:29 am
After saving all programs and sounds & all sequences and songs (thank god) i get this message when i try to delete or add a part to a(specific) track: CPU Addr(read) PC (884b05de) Oh, and this certain track changed all by itself- i only tried to delete or add after it had myseriously changed on its own(ater saving). Also noticed in track mute, when i hit pad 1, track 5 gets muted instead.
By felprez Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:50 pm
Aight got one! When using a sample, Note On, 12Levels(tuning), Polyphonic, when I press 2 or more pads at the same time and I release one, both( or more) stops even if I hold the pads.
Peace!
By braz Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:00 am
phono wrote:possible bug (i cant make it work so im assuming it is)

when the mpc is set to midi clock "slave" and soft thru set to "on" the thru data doesn't contain midi clock, a normal thru port would pass all the midi data including the clock.

:twisted:

Really really annoying and prevent the normal use of the mpc as an hardware sequencer.
I'm thinking of selling mine due to that bug :(
By vsr600 Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:04 am
Just got the 500 a few hours ago and already found a really annoying bug. If you load a sequence created on a MPC2500 that has midi data in it not assigned to the A midi output, the MPC500 freezes up. The only way to get it working again is to shut it off and back on. Kind of annoying since the reason I got the 500 is to edit my patterns made on my 2500 "on the go."
By Galik-C Sun May 03, 2009 2:15 am
Uh, yeah. I went to download the MPC500 OS 1.31, and all I got was Version 1.30, which I already have.

Not sure why, but the ZIP download from the Akai website says its 1.31, but it is not the case.
By robthom Sun May 17, 2009 12:00 am
When trying to enter edit after sampling or loading a new sample, will blink 3 times "no samples in memory".

This can be randomly fixed by recording a junk sequence or opening a few menu screens.
By SNMTK Sun May 17, 2009 3:13 am
not a bug... but one thing i would really like is when previewing samples in the LOAD mode, for the sample to play all the way through instead of just the first 5 seconds or however long it plays for. sometimes i got samples with long intros, and cant preview them cos they always cut off too early... and therefore have to load the whole sample and preview it in the TRIM mode. I dont know if all MPC's are like this, but its annoying... and i guess it would be an easy fix too

edit: maybe its not so easy to get around that... i hadn't thought of the ram issue... is that why it can't play the whole sample cos you have to load it into the RAM first?
By robthom Thu May 21, 2009 4:40 pm
Sinamatik wrote:not a bug... but one thing i would really like is when previewing samples in the LOAD mode, for the sample to play all the way through instead of just the first 5 seconds or however long it plays for. sometimes i got samples with long intros, and cant preview them cos they always cut off too early... and therefore have to load the whole sample and preview it in the TRIM mode. I dont know if all MPC's are like this, but its annoying... and i guess it would be an easy fix too

edit: maybe its not so easy to get around that... i hadn't thought of the ram issue... is that why it can't play the whole sample cos you have to load it into the RAM first?

Didn't the last OS, pre 1.30 (1.13?) do that?

I only used it shortly before the update was released, and I was still learning to use the 500 at the time so I cant be absolutely sure.
(And I cant find the old OS anywhere to DL either! Its disappeared from the internet)

But I'm pretty sure that it did.
By wnb85 Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:08 am
I've had the problem of trying to open 1 menu and it takes me 2 another. kinda annoying but even worse than that is the problem I have trimming samples. A few times I've chopped my sample using the "extract" feature, and after naming the sample then going to it, the sample is a lil off. for example, i locate individual drum hits from a loop and the start and end point for each one is perfect when previewing, but once i select extract and name it, i play the chop and its not where it should be. like if i extract the snare alone, when i play it back it has a piece of the next drum hit in it. i know im chopping right and it doesnt do it all the time but i constantly have to make sure every extracted chop is on point cause a few times i had to re-record because i thought my chops where perfect and deleted the original sample. has this happened to anybody?
By Galik-C Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:07 pm
wnb85 wrote: i know im chopping right and it doesnt do it all the time but i constantly have to make sure every extracted chop is on point cause a few times i had to re-record because i thought my chops where perfect and deleted the original sample. has this happened to anybody?

I know exactly what you mean. I also noticed that the default Start time for the samples in Trim Mode is 2205 if I remember correctly. I don't know if it makes a difference or not, but I always change it to zero right from the start, then do a quick listen and then Discard with just a small amount at both ends of what I already know I will be using. You probably already do the same thing, but I did notice that the samples occasionally sound a little off when you play them again.

There might not be a simple way around it them, except to double-check the Attack and Delay, the start and end times of your chopped sample when you are done with it, Note-On, etc. As far as the opening of menus is concerned, the same thing has happened to me. Usually, I can avoid this by hitting the Sequence button to get back to the "Main" screen. You shouldn't have to do that, but sometimes the machine can only handle so much at one time. An expensive machine (not a toy), but still a machine. It could be the RAM; I don't even know. Sorry if I'm not much help, but it is good to know that there is someone else who gets annoyed with the same type of isht that I do. I hope it works out for you.

Piece.
By dviaje Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:16 pm
Yea, whens the next OS coming out? i heard rumors of having a sample editor on the 500, whats happening with that?
By jkomp316 Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:48 am
I want files to be organized alphabetically. Whenever I go to load a program it sorts them by date rather than name. :evil: