Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By inflict3 Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:33 pm
pich172 wrote:Would I need to buy a connector for it to solder to thisor use the existing one that's the to stock display?

u can use the one in there, hit up the guy in this thread who has done it and ask him, mpcstuff probably adds the lil plug piece to em, but u could just solder the wires of the ribbon cable right to the spots on the back of the screen, if u aint good at soldering then get it from mpcstuff, but hit up ol boy with the post up a few and ask him, I'm pretty sure he just soldered it in..
By pich172 Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:06 am
I bought the screen on ebay and the pin to solder to it and some red leds, hopefully do that on the wknd if I've got some free time, if it all works out ill post up a pic :-). Thanks for your help guys
By inflict3 Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:33 pm
pich172 wrote:I bought the screen on ebay and the pin to solder to it and some red leds, hopefully do that on the wknd if I've got some free time, if it all works out ill post up a pic :-). Thanks for your help guys

where did you get the pin header?? can u post a link to that part?? sweet!! post a link to the leds too so peeps can find em quick.. man, i can't wait to see it man, make sure you don't solder in those leds the wrong way, i did that on a few of mine from the start, also be careful not to leave the solder iron on the contacts of the pcb board too long, or they will pull off the board giving you a nightmare, the mpc pcbs are a lil cheap., so if you haven't soldered before brush up on some old junk electronics from the thrift store first..
By pich172 Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:03 pm
Thanks for the heads up on the soldering man, I haven't done any for a while but im hoping ill remember how it goes, ill post up the links in a min, I did some research and found some which I think someone used on there's and it worked, The was only 2 quid so I thought I'd try them, if they don't work it won't be too much of a pain to get some different ones, ill let you know how it goes, I want to get it done now coz I can't make any beats with it apart atm :-)
By pich172 Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:10 pm
Here's the pin header, you just cut it off with the amount you need it for i think, I'm not sure if this is correct but it's all trail and error for me as I haven't done it before
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/171194877260?nav=SEARCH
Here's the leds, again I'm not 100% that they'll work yet
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/271398269146?nav=SEARCH
Here's the screen I found it seems really cheap so im counting on something to go wrong
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/111271502015?nav=SEARCH
By pich172 Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:59 pm
Managed to fit the parts over the weekend, the project is finally finished so I can go back to making some beats on it now, the screen was the easy part but the soldering of the leds was a pain some of the circuit board came off lol so I had to hook up a wire between the two points, that bit wasn't planned but I had to do what I had to do!
Really happy with the way it turned out! When I started it I thought I'd just mess it up but fingers crossed it's still all working atm

By inflict3 Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:13 am
looks dope!!! hahahhahaa!!! dude, i did the same shit and had to do the same wire thing, i thought i was a G for figuring that shit out on my own. hahahah!! man, it looks good,. he, what happens when u flip the back light off on the screen?? can you even see it at all when its off like on the original screen??
By Lampdog Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:08 am
I'm really liking that red and black jobby.
By damien907 Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:51 am
wow, that is one of the coolest 500s i have ever seen! good job pich!
By pich172 Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:12 pm
Nice! Thanks for that you lot, I really appreciate it :-) it's nice to show it to people how are interested in them, people round ere just ent got the love for mpcs like I do,
lol Yeh it was a nice feeling fixing that problem I felt like I kinda knew what I was doing for once, it gives the mpc a bit a character!
The screens pretty dark when the lights off which is disappointing, it's like a black on black job, it was a real cheap one tho so I think I might upgrade to a better one in the future but for now I'm happy :-), I was glad I picked red coz I only had to change 2 leds lol I think I might of screwed it up more if I had to change the lot!
By inflict3 Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:42 pm
pich172 wrote:Nice! Thanks for that you lot, I really appreciate it :-) it's nice to show it to people how are interested in them, people round ere just ent got the love for mpcs like I do,
lol Yeh it was a nice feeling fixing that problem I felt like I kinda knew what I was doing for once, it gives the mpc a bit a character!
The screens pretty dark when the lights off which is disappointing, it's like a black on black job, it was a real cheap one tho so I think I might upgrade to a better one in the future but for now I'm happy :-), I was glad I picked red coz I only had to change 2 leds lol I think I might of screwed it up more if I had to change the lot!

yea, thats what i thought, so u gotta leave the back light on, or u can't see it.. i love turning mine off when I'm in a bright place to save on battery life, i never use my plug, always running off rechargeable batteries.. i feel u on messing up.. i first did my 1000 with blue leds, so i messed up on 2 or 3 spots on that one and had to use wire, on my 500, i soldered in all blue leds too, but didn't mess up anything.. i also took the pad bracket out of my 500 and drilled out those holes the pad nipples sit in a few sizes bigger, the fat pads have thick nipples and were hung up in the holes causing a stuck pad everyone in a while, or a double trigger, now its smooth as ice!! again, great work man!!
By pich172 Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:20 pm
You can see it but it's notas clear as the original, the display is a grey colour so it's not ideal, Yeh me too I much prefer the batteries.. You can just pick it up and have go when ever and you can easily take it or store it anywhere really, nice work too man! I might have to think about that mod? I do get that double trigger happening sometimes, was it a simple job? Do you think I could damage it if I did it wrong? Lol

Thanks boss
By inflict3 Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:24 am
pich172 wrote:You can see it but it's notas clear as the original, the display is a grey colour so it's not ideal, Yeh me too I much prefer the batteries.. You can just pick it up and have go when ever and you can easily take it or store it anywhere really, nice work too man! I might have to think about that mod? I do get that double trigger happening sometimes, was it a simple job? Do you think I could damage it if I did it wrong? Lol

Thanks boss

if u do it, pull the whole medal bracket that has the sensors on it out, then unhook the pcb on the back before drilling, i posted the size somewhere in the forums i used to drill, place the pad bracket on a flat piece of wood and just drill the holes out a bit bigger, as long as that lil pcb aint still on the back u wounlt have anything to bump with the drill bit..make sure when putting it back together to put ribbon cables all the way in, maybe turn it on before u get the case back secure and make sure all the pads are working, if not u got a ribbon cable half cocked or not all the way in…