Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Eldee Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:13 pm
while making sequences i lay down my drum beats...record from a synthesiser various samples put them on pads and place them where i want them and so on builing a song this way....sometimes when i put a sample down it cancels out other sounds..can anyone explain what im doing wrong...
By MeSoHordey Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:19 pm
Eldee wrote:while making sequences i lay down my drum beats...record from a synthesiser various samples put them on pads and place them where i want them and so on builing a song this way....sometimes when i put a sample down it cancels out other sounds..can anyone explain what im doing wrong...

When you say cancel, you mean it stops the other samples?
By MeSoHordey Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:27 pm
Go to program mode. Scroll to Mute Groups. Tap each pad and make sure the mute groups setting is set to OFF.

You put pads into a mute group in order to stop any pad that is currently playing that is also in the group. It's useful sometimes.
By Eldee Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:34 pm
thanks..but i"ll have a four bar sequence playing with a recorded piano loop playing and drums...then i"ll go into mode record and record another sound...then I'll overdub it into my sequence...sometimes the very begining of the piano loop will play but second half will stop? no mute groups on..
By MeSoHordey Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:37 pm
Sorry, I'm not sure what it is you're actually doing from your description...
By m:t:c Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:47 pm
Sounds like a polyphony issue. Max simultaneous voices is 32 (mono sample uses 1 voice, stereo uses 2). Also make sure you don't leave unnecessary tails to your recordings (trim 'em tight).

There are a couple of threads about it worth checking out:

http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=130434

http://www.mpc-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=59881
By New Jack Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:20 pm
yo, i got my mpc 500 when i was around 17 or 18, and since then ive had the same problem.. no mute groups on or anything,

its honestly just the 500 haha, its kind of shitty, still awesome, but its almost as if the 500 cant take too many sounds overlapping at once and just cuts out samples.

happens with me everytime i have too much bass, or too long of a sample. so you gota learn to either ..buy a better mpc, or work with the issue, such as chopping up samples more instead of 1 -4 bar loop, have the 4 bar loop chopped at every bar, you know what i mean? and definetly have them on mono, and it should help.

it sucks, and i feel your pain. good luck homie
By jibber Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:22 pm
It can also be caused by using too many of the internal effects at once. I had samples/pads with effects applied to them that would mute each other because the 500 couldn't handle its own internal effects if they would be applied to too many pads.
By Ill-Green Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:45 am
Try these two things.

1 - If your sequence is in LOOP MODE...Hold MODE and then OTHER (pad #8). Scroll to "Truncate Dura" and set it to "As Played" or "Sequence Length". That lets the sample play even if the sequence loop ends and doesn't cut off anything.

OR

2 - In Program mode, set the Voice Overlap to POLY.

Let us know what happens :mrgreen:
By thespian.org Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:47 pm
i had this problem and completely solved it... I don't know if your machines are similar to my MPC One but I went to Program Edit > LFO/Modulation > Modes and found a box called Mute groups. I didn't expect to see this because there's a Mute Groups page elsewhere in the MPC and every one of my pads was set to OFF in that page. But when I went through this new route, to the LFO page, It showed active mute groups on multiple pads. I turned them off. It's fixed.