Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Dylema Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:30 am
Hi guys, I just joined here so hello.

I have tried searching this problem but the search terms are really general so I can't find an answer. Sorry if it has been covered before.

I have an MPC500 which I bought second hand about a year ago but am only now finding the time to figure it out properly. It is running operating system 1.31 I think. I have put in 128mb ram but otherwise I think it is standard.

The problem I am having is when I release pads 7 or 9 they trigger pad 8 and same if I release pads 10 or 12 it triggers pad 11. This only happens after a firm press or some times after a hard tap but not after a gentle tap or press. I have gone through the manual and all the settings looking for answers. If I am in a setting i.e. load sample and I press one of the problem pads, say 9, pad 8 is selected. I have taken the face off to see if it was dirty under the pads but they are pretty clean except for a little bit of greasy stuff under each pad which I assumed was supposed to be there.

Can someone help with a solution? Do I need new rubber pads or something else or is this in fact a software/setting issue.

Cheers.

Dylan
By Machine Life Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:25 am
Sounds like a hardware issue to me, either the pads or sensors--most likely the pads. Not sure there's an easy way to troubleshoot though. Can you try holding pad 8 up with your fingertips along the edges while hitting 7 and 9 and see if it still happens?
By Dylema Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:01 pm
OK I tried to hold pad 8 with my finger nails while pressing pad 9 but it is really hard to hold the pad so I think I will have to take the face off again to try this. I remembered when I had the face of i tried touching the sensors under the pads and the problem didn't occur. Not sure if it is safe to hit the sensors with my fingers so I was pretty gentle. I have tried turning the sensitivity up and down on both pads 8 and 9 but is doesn't seem to make any difference to the issue. I do get the feeling that it is the pads moving and triggering the other sensors. if I push pad 9 to the right a bit as I press it it doesn't trigger number 8.

In regards it the greasy stuff under the pads, should this be there and if so how much?

Cheers
By Metatron72 Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:09 pm
Dylema wrote:In regards it the greasy stuff under the pads, should this be there and if so how much?

No and none.

It's common for grease from your fingers to seep into the pads but that actually softens them over time, and it's only the discoloration that bothers people. Couldn't imagine it ever being so much grease absorbed that it would seep straight through and be on the underside of the sheet.

Maybe an accumulation of gunk+maybe the pads where in a hot environment at one point and secreted some of oils used in the rubber. The data wheel, slider and Rec/Vol. dials would only have the tiniest amount of grease to facilitate their smooth motion. If the grease came from there you'd probably see it.

Unless it's the off chance someone used silicone to improve sensitivity. But even if an application of that broke down, you'd probably be able to tell and it wouldn't really look like regular grease.
By Ill-Green Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:11 pm
Yeah, thats that problem I was talking about in another thread. My 500 too, has pads triggering other pads and its a new model. I bought the fat pads and they did definitely justice, even made hitting the pads more smoother but over time its acting up again.

Under my observation, I think it has to do with the rubber padding. Since its one piece , pressing pad 9 will slightly touch pad 8.

There shouldn't be any grease in the machine unless it has moving parts, which it don't. Careful you don't shock yourself.
By Dylema Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:34 pm
Right I will go and carefully clean the sensors and pads. If this doesn't stop the problem I guess I will get some new pads and see how that goes. Where is the best place to buy replacement pads? Is there aftermarket ones or is it best to get genuine?

Cheers
By Metatron72 Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:53 pm
Dylema wrote:Right I will go and carefully clean the sensors and pads. If this doesn't stop the problem I guess I will get some new pads and see how that goes. Where is the best place to buy replacement pads? Is there aftermarket ones or is it best to get genuine?

Cheers

Aftermarket ones really only differ from Akai OEM pads on the corners of the pads. Akai OEM pads have sharp corners. MPCStuff ones are rounded slightly. For a while you get could black Akai OEM with the sharper edges at VST Service, but the last time I ordered from there they sent me a rounded set with an MPCStuff sticker right on the package. Was a great way to waste $5 extra. :Sigh:

But the corner thing is cosmetic and you might go years and not notice unless somebody pointed it out. Rubber and quality are the same. Grab the Fat Pads Ill Green mentioned, made my 1000 much better.
By Dylema Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:37 am
I just cleaned the sensor sheet carefully with some metho in a tissue and then gave the under side of the pads a good clean with metho and tissue. Quite discusting if that is the first owners finger grease but realistically it was a very tiny film of muck. now happily the problem seems to be gone so hopefully that was all it needed and I don't have to fork out for new pads just yet.

Thanks for your help guys.

Cheers

Dylan.
By Machine Life Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:35 pm
Nice! That residue was probably causing the pads to stick in a weird way. Wonder where it came from though? Maybe it was left in the sun and some volatile materials inside the main housing evaporated upwards and condensed against the bottom of the pads over time...
By Ill-Green Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:54 pm
Machine Life wrote:Nice! That residue was probably causing the pads to stick in a weird way. Wonder where it came from though? Maybe it was left in the sun and some volatile materials inside the main housing evaporated upwards and condensed against the bottom of the pads over time...

I was thinking of an obesed man sweating french fry grease and ham fat in a small hot and humid room.
By Dylema Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:09 pm
I am going to try and believe it is non animal product maybe it was silicone grease or condensed grease from in the box somewhere. Greasy obese man fat in my pads just isn't that hot.