Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By pich172 Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:18 pm
Nice! So you've had it awhile then :-), im really digging your beats tho and your style... It's the sort I'm aiming for but I'm struggling atm, yeh a lot of people don't seem impressed when I show them the 500 like they were expecting something amazing lol, I want to get some nice beats made on it now just to show them what it's got!

I love that electronic beat you've got, I use to love acid techno before I got in to scratching then it just became breaks and loops :-).

I want to ask yous two some things? If that's ok,

Sometimes I really struggle to get a chopped sample to work with my beat... Do you think that some samples are easier to work with than others?

What elements do I need for a beat.... I watch loads of videos on YouTube where people have keyboards and stuff? Is that an essential part to make a beat? Do you need to play chords or a melody in your beats.

I just have the sample, drums, and a bass but I'm not sure if that's enough.
By inflict3 Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:55 pm
it all depends on what you are going for., sometimes i make a beat with only the chopped up sample and drums., sometimes i figure out the key that the beat is in and play a synth line in the scale of that key,. a lot of times with my simple hip hop beats its just the sample, sometimes doubled with a low pass filter all the way down almost for the bass line and drums., just **** around and make what sounds good,. if you like it, thats all that matters., if its got you nodding your head and smiling then you are there…yes, some samples are easier to work with… some practice for ya.. just make a drum beat, can't find any drums, sample em from youtube here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H6vnzowF7Q

record the loop to pad a1 name it drm now chop the st point right on the kick, normalize it and copy it to a2 it should name it drm2 now get the st. point right on the hat and copy it to pad a3 as drm3,. now get the st. point on the snare. now look at the st. points on the pads before and go the each end point press numeric and key in the numbers with the pads.. bam, u just chopped a drum kit. now just play around with that, maybe adjust the st. points so they are more on point, record it, maybe play with the timing shift function, after you get a dope sounding drum beat, go browsing stuff to sample.. maybe you will find something that sounds like it matches your drum beat. sample it, sample lots of shit you think might work. maybe put the samples on the pads above your drums you just did. get the st. points where you want them on these new samples and normalize them, play around with the pitch of these samples while the beat is playing. try and get the sample kinda around the same tempo of your beat. now you can take that sample and start chopping it like you did the drums. just **** around till you find some dope shit…hope that wasn't too much shit there man.. just practice that type shit and you will be on your way :-D
By S.I.C.K THE DRUMGOD Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:45 pm
Sometimes I really struggle to get a chopped sample to work with my beat... Do you think that some samples are easier to work with than others?
^^^^
Here are some basic tips.Some it may be very obvious.

Obey the metronome mute out everything except the chop/sample you are working on.
Pitch the sample and play along with the metronome until it links up.
Use your attack to blend the starting point so it sounds smoother in the mix.
Leave your starting points and end points loose until you got everything on point then you can discard if you want.

Sometimes you have to play with the BPM to adjust it around the samples instead of the other way around.

like I said basic stuff...
By pich172 Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:05 pm
Nice one inflict I really appreciate that man and it definitely wasn't too much, that's the stuff I need to hear coz it gives me something to work on, I know it probably seems basic to everyone but im starting from the bottom and keen to work on things, I'm going to try that drum beat project for sure tonight, I think I made the mistake of buying some drum kits although there good I think its better to learn to make kits yourself, I went mad too and just started chopping anything I found without taking time to listen to it properly.

Thanks drumgod I appreciate that too, it's not too basic for me and I think I need to take time and do those sorts of things instead of rushing with the free time I get to practice.
By Ill-Green Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:21 am
For me, I don't see myself as making beats, I see it as creating the songs that I go crate digging for. I love a good composition and where it takes me. And when I'm at the sampler, I create something like I heard but using samples from another source because that source reminded me of this song.

Ever listen to something you like and then that golden 4second sample just plays on by and you put the brakes on and then spin it back and listen to it a hundred times? Thats what you should be sampling. I can't tell you what to sample but making beats is making music.

All I concentrate on is getting the samples on time and in sync. There is no limit to create, you can play a 5/4 sample over 4/4 drum pattern, play what moves you. Music that gave you something. Now give back and all that geometric philosophical bullshit :D
By pich172 Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:15 pm
Nice! Thanks ill green I appreciate your time! Ill be focusing on finding the perfect sample more rather than using any old thing I come across,
peace out :smoker:
By damien907 Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:27 pm
another thing to think about might be to lay your sample melody out first, then go back and put your drums under it. I never do my drums first, I always build my samples then they kinda dictate where the drums will fall.
i know some people do drums first, but if it hasn't been working for you, you might want to try the other way around.
Also like I'll green said, don't rush out and Sample everything just cause you can, wait and find that super dope loop and use that.
dope sample based music usually starts with dope samples. I'm really picky about my samples, so it might get frustrating waiting to find that I'll shit, but in the end it will be worth it.
It makes beat making so much funner when you have the most badass sample in the world too. All that being said,sometimes you just have to flip a mediocre sample and make that shit knock.
also if your just starting out just know, looping isn't a crime. You don't have to micro chop everything, sometimes looping is the way to go.
By inflict3 Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:08 am
Bringing this thread back from the dead… :worthy: