Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By SimonInAustralia Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:11 pm
The seller has listed it as being compatible with the MPC500, so you would think it is.

Other than what the seller says, no one here will be able to confirm it, unless they have purchased the exact same adapter themselves, as there are no details listed as to the specifications of that adapter.
By motosega Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:54 pm
it dosen't need to be a special power supply with akai magic.

it just needs to be 12v , supply at least 500ma current (not more than 800 just to be on the safe side) and have negative tip and positive sleeve.

look in your box of studio equipment and you'll probably find one, many radio microphones, cheap mixers and synths use a 12v dc adapter, check the polarity though!

if you don't understand any of that, just take your mpc to an electronics shop and show them the dc input connector. they'll take one off the shelf and sell it to you on the spot for less than the postage will cost you for something bought off the internet.

ewan.

edit: be more specific about current rating and correct ac/dc confusion, the moral of the story, defer all AC/DC questions to an australian.
Last edited by motosega on Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SimonInAustralia Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:10 pm
motosega wrote:it just needs to be 12v , supply more than 500ma current and have negative tip and positive sleeve.

600mA.

If much more than that, it should be regulated.

motosega wrote:if you don't understand any of that, just take your mpc to an electronics shop and show them the ac input connector.

DC input connector.
By motosega Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:18 pm
SimonInAustralia wrote:
motosega wrote:it just needs to be 12v , supply more than 500ma current and have negative tip and positive sleeve.

600mA.

If much more than that, it should be regulated.

motosega wrote:if you don't understand any of that, just take your mpc to an electronics shop and show them the ac input connector.

DC input connector.

hopefully the man in the electronics store would have spotted that it was actualy a dc input..but thanks for pointing that out. i was thinking about the place where you connect the ac adapter when i wrote that. dun messed up.

the writing on the back of the mpc says 500ma

i always thought regulated power supplies had Voltage regulation, not Current regulation, an overspecified power supply shouldn't make any difference, or did i miss something fundamental? the current rating on power supplies means: "capable of supplying up to x amps before something goes pop" the mpc won't actualy draw any more current than 500ma.

i suppose your right though, in the sense that a 20A power supply would be asking for trouble.
so maybe a sensible upper limit of 800ma would be good advice to the non tech minded. i will edit my post acordingly.
By SimonInAustralia Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:48 pm
I was going by the manual, so slightly different current specs.

An unregulated power supply, with a higher current rating than what is being drawn by the device, will output a higher voltage than specified at that lower current draw than it was designed for. It would possibly supply too high a voltage.