Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By lolzmania Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:38 pm
I'm having a problem with samples cutting out while recording. It's not a poly/mono issue or mute groups. I've been researching for a couple weeks now and found multiple examples of the same issue. I bought new ram and reinstalled older versions of the OS, etc. Still nothing works. I can't even play a simple drum beat with a kick and a snare without the thing cutting off. It seems even the metronome cuts the sample off at times. I've read complaints about this issue in this same forum but it seems nobody has solved it yet. Is my unit defective?? Should I return it? I'm very confused as to what the problem is and I can't figure it out. Thanks
By Ill-Green Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:17 am
Are you saying when recording to a sequence, samples cut off? How many bars are you recording? I know when I've reached the 32nd bar, samples cut on me too. Its an unfinished product to tell you the truth. Akai stopped at OS1.31 and left the bugs to crawl and **** your mind.

Besides that, its one of the things I've forgotten about because I do so many work arounds with that machine to avoid glitches and freezes (because they do occur if you don't treat it right) that its become second nature. But I never figured it out either, my workaround was to resample the good parts before the cut off and build from there and resample some more until I had decent like stems. Or I just resample performances to pads and make my beats without the sequencer.

Like I said, it happens to me but after the 32nd bar.
By baztek Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:18 pm
I have the same issue, literally 3 sounds playing on the same track in a 2 bar sequence randomly cut out. I can physically play the pads live and can I only reproduce using the sequencer. Have plenty of polyphony, not a mute group or timing correction issue. I have 128MB RAM and fat pads. I did wonder if it had something to do with using batteries, but not sure how. I've ended up just over time progressing to the workflow described above, as long as the loop is printed to a sample, my ideas are saved. Sequencer seems to be buggy so avoiding from now on.

Just out of interest Ill-Green, do you use the shift loop feature to get loops to hold or manaully keep triggering? Do you play live? I'm starting to wonder if I need to get something more reliable for live performance. Additionally so many times changes to samples is not real time, for example fx and trimming. You have to retrigger to hear the change.

baztek
By fuzuku Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:33 pm
lolzmania, check and see if your mpc has a program in auto-load.

Check if the pads are in one shot or note on.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/20735 ... ml?page=81

:popcorn: :popcorn:
By Ill-Green Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:26 pm
Yes, I use the Shift+loop feature extensively when I had it. You can play as many loops as you want, at the same time, but soon as I reach that 32nd bar, one or two pads cut off. And it shouldn't because I record everything to one 99 bars sequence, so cutting off should be nonexistant. Its not a recognized feature by Akai so consider it an unfinished product. Use it while it works and practice to maintain continueity, I used to wait for that 32nd bar to retrigger the samples again :-D
By still_awake Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:38 pm
Sometimes that I try to troubleshoot this very problem on my 500 I just go to the step editor, find the note that cuts off and roll the parameter to D (which of course means duration) . Most of the times I do this, I find the duration set from 0 to 5. Sometimes the number that I need to increase is much more than expected for the sample to stop cutting off. This does not work always for me but most of the times it does .
Just my two cents. :)