Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By Crumb$ Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:29 am
Whats up MPC Forum...!

I own a MPC Live and love it, but it's my first MPC. A good friend just got an MPC 500 but he hasn't used it much and I just borrowed it for short time and I want to load it up with some samples from some of my vinyl before I give it back (by way of a thanks).

I already bought the bible for the 500 but my time is very limited right now with because of work, so I'm hoping someone can just point me in the right direction. Obviously it's noting like the Live for sampling on, but I just want to know if I'm better recording directly on the 500 and doing the trimming there. Or is it better to do all that work on another device and then load the samples on to the card...?

...hope that makes sense...

Thanks!
By Sharris Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:27 pm
I've never loaded a sample in any of my samplers, I sample & I personally like chopping in the 500 just like I enjoy chopping in my sp404, but it DOES take time. If you want to chop as fast as possible it would be better to chop somewhere else & load the samples into the 500. You could also sample each chop into the 500.

if you want to load samples on it, I THINK you just plug it into your computer via usb.

There is also MPC Maid (check it out, you can chop in it & sh!t) - https://sourceforge.net/projects/mpcmaid/

I've never used it, but it should do exactly what you need it to & you should be able to chop a lot faster in it than in the 500.
By Crumb$ Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:00 pm
Nice, thanks man. I managed to read the sampling section of the Bible late last night. It's better than i'd expected. Fine for normal stuff really, and maybe would improve the users style what with having to use their ears more. But yeah for mass sampling and what I'm looking to do right now, that MPC Maid is going to make life easier.

I might well buy one of these for myself. If I could pimp it with a rechargeable lithium battery it would be great.
By Ill-Green Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:34 pm
If you talking in bulk, then its best to fill up a 2GB CF card with the samples from your computer that are 16 [email protected] wav. files and jam it in the MPC500.

As long the sounds meet that format, the 500 will read them regardless of the programs you use to trim and chop.
By Sharris Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:00 pm
Yea, you might really like the 500......I have gear that can do things faster, but still love playin with the 500. Plus I love how small it is.

When it comes to chopping tho, most don't like chopping in the 500. I'm personally ok with it, like you said using your ears to chop, it definitely ups your chopping skills.

I'm almost positive you can dump samples into the 500 (well the memory card inside the 500) via usb. I think MPC Maid is for chopping & stuff, but if you already have a ton of samples ready to go, try dumping them into the 500 via usb.