Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By rrttdd Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:00 pm
Hi MPC experts,

at the moment I'm a little confused. My setup works, but I don't know why...

Goal:
Doing some sequencing with my Arturia Beatstep Pro and Waldorf Blofeld synthesizer.

Setup:
The sequencing takes place at the Beatstep. The Beatstep's MIDI out is connected to the MPC500's MIDI IN. I want to use the MPC 500 for some simple drum "uhn-tiss" stuff. The MPC's MIDI out is connected to the Blofeld which I want to use for the "melodic" parts.

The Beatstep Pro has 3 sequencers:

-Two for the melodic parts (Blofeld)
-One drum sequencer (MPC 500)

I got this setup working as intended, but I don't know why... :hmmm:

My first idea:
Code: Select allBeatstep Pro:
-Setting melodic sequencers to MIDI sending channels 1+2
-Setting drum sequencer to sending channel 10

MPC 500:
-activate soft-through
-setting receive channel to 10

Blofeld:
-load a multi part with the desired patches listening to channel 1+2

This way, the MPC somehow "filters" away all MIDI channels except channel 10. The Blofeld will receive no data at channel 1+2 this way. When configured to input channel 10, the Blofeld can be played simultaneously with the MPC via the drum sequencer of the BSP.

I found out that everything seems to work as desired when I

Code: Select all 
MPC 500:
-activate soft-through
-setting receive channel to <ALL>

The Blofeld can be controlled by sequencers 1+2 and the MPC by the drum sequencer. Fantastic! :)

But I'd like to know why!

-why does the MPC detect channel 10 as its appropiate input channel when configured to receive ALL?
-why does it ignore channel 1+2?
-is it because of the GM standard and "hardcoded" or could this be changed? (for example if somebody has more than one MPC...)

That behaviour seems not logical to me... Does it have a reason?
By DjDiskmachine Mon Oct 01, 2018 2:47 pm
Hello!
This question: -why does the MPC detect channel 10 as its appropiate input channel when configured to receive ALL?
From your description, I cannot see why this happens. Can you describe a scenario when this occurs?

Nott 100% sure here, but I think that when you're setting the receive channel to 10, the output channel will depend on the track setting. That is, if you're on track 1 with MIDI channel 1, the input will be output on MIDI channel 1. Does the Blofeld play if you set the MPC to receive on MIDI ch 10 and set your track MIDI channel to 1?

I've got no experience in MIDI sequencing on Beatstep Pro, is there any particular reason why you choose to arrange melodies on it rather than on the MPC?